At the Seaside


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Viña del Mar
December 13th 2007
Published: December 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had planned to go straight up the coast to Horcon, a quiet fishing village, but we got into Viña Del Mar so late (stupid borders and accident) that we had to leave it till the next day. In fact we nearly didn´t bother, but I´m glad we did, as it was lovely to get away from the bustle here and chill out on the beach.

It wasn´t glorious sun, but was warm and we still managed to catch the sun. The beach we went to on the first day had a red flag and said it wasn´t suitable for swimming, so we had more of a tentative paddle. The water was freezing and the waves very strong so that was enough for us. We went further up the coast, walking for about an hour to a different beach on the second day. It was perfectly secluded, we had it to ourselves all day! We stayed in a lovely little place with private cabanas with views to the sea. It was run by 2 old ladies, and we had a lovely fish dinner there too. Through out the morning, an amazing sight can be seen, of two stocky horses pulling the boats along the beach, in and out of the water. Every time a boat approaches, 2 guys jump up on these horses at the ready. It seems to be a very efficient system, but hard work for the horses who as well as having to move the boats also have the rather tubby men on their backs too!

Although we would have liked to stay a bit longer, we are really running out of time now, so had to head back to Viña. Today we caught the train across to Valparaiso. It's a port, and it and Viña are kind of joined cities, on opposite sides of the bay. It is so like Bristol here, higgledy-piggledy houses up winding and very steep streets. The best thing is that here they have special lifts or ascendors, which for 20p or so, will carry you up the hill! They´re 200 years old, but are still creaking their way up!

Tomorrow we're off on a Chiliean wine tasting tour, and that's pretty much it for mainland South America, as Easter Island here we come!

Jenny




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb