Bohemian Or Spray Paint Gone Wild


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.0206, -71.5548

As I try to finish up my blog post from Valparaiso, I need to be somewhat sensitive to the tragic events currently being visited upon this coastal Chilean city. Fires are raging through this UNESCO World Heritage Site and are the worst since a fire in 1953 wiped out most of the city. Already, 16 people have died and more than 3,000 homes have been destroyed (so far 11,000 people have been evacuated). The fire began a few days ago in a forested area above ramshackle housing on one of the city's many hilltops, and spread quickly as high winds rained hot ash over wooden houses and narrow streets. These formally colorful neighborhoods hug hills so steep that people often have to use staircases and funiculars, rather than streets. Many homes have been built without water supplies or access points which would enable firefighters to intervene, so much of the fight has been from the air. One can only hope that the situation is brought under control as quickly as possible.

Although nearby Vina del Mar is actually the number one tourist destination in Chile, that's primarily due to beach-going Chileans. For travelers I suspect that Valparaiso is near the top of the list (no doubt helped by the fact that it hosts a good number of cruise ships). It takes a little imagination but Valparaiso could be/should be one of the top city destinations in South America and yet very few people have even heard of it. It has a wonderful setting on the Pacific coast of Chile, it has tremendous character with unique and colorful homes blanketing the seven hills surrounding the harbour area, it has a wonderful history as told by many of the older buildings in the town core (it was once the wealthiest city in Chile), and it has a bohemian culture that it is currently trying to nurture and tolerate.
So why is imagination required? It's really hard to see past the ugliness of chronic tagging and spray-painting, the garbage strewn everywhere, and numerous buildings in varying degrees of disrepair. The tagging, in particular, is simply out of control and I believe leads to a situation where the citizenry has given up on addressing the aesthetics of the town. We did our best to remain in motion fearing that we would end up covered in spray paint if stood still for too long. I thought Santiago had a problem with these inbred morons whose talent seems to start and finish with the ability to squeeze down on the nozzle of a spray can, but Valparaiso is at a point of desperation. Even the much better option of wall murals is a bit overdone here with rather pointless space aliens and flaming skulls showing up too often.

As much as we saw a city in need of a significant power-wash, over the past 15 years, the city has staged an impressive comeback which involved attracting many artists and cultural entrepreneurs who have set up shop in the city's hillside historic districts. In 2003, the historic quarter of Valparaíso was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a new national law named the city "Chile's Cultural Capital." (we went on a tour with a Where's Waldo guide who suggested that the excessive spray painting was actually protected by the UNESCO designation as part of the cities heritage but I find that very hard to believe). Prior to an extended period of decay, the city was the star of Chile- it served as a major stopover for ships traveling between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans by crossing the Straits of Magellan. Valparaíso mushroomed during its golden age, when the city was known by international sailors as “Little San Francisco" and based on the weather that seems to include a steady diet of cool weather and fog, San Francisco would seem an apt comparison. Valparaíso's former glory included Latin America's oldest stock exchange, the continent's first volunteer fire department, Chile's first public library, and the oldest Spanish language newspaper in continuous publication in the world, What happened?? The opening of the Panama Canal and the resulting reduction in ship traffic dealt a staggering blow to Valparaíso. It continued as a university town and currently hosts four of Chiles significant universities (probable care and feeding zones for the cities spray painters- when we were there some sort of hazing ritual underway that involved freshman dressing up as zombies/bums and hassling people for spare change which was then pooled to support a drinking binge?).

Valparaiso is still worth a visit but underneath the paint, grime, and no-go neighbourhoods is a city that could be in the top tier of must-see city destinations. Hopefully the authorities of Chile recognize the treasure they have and as they develop plans to recover from the latest fire disaster, they look to what could be a brilliant future.


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



19th April 2014

I certainly hope that the fires where brought under control. Amazing city and I thought our taggers were bad here.
19th April 2014

That would be a bit freaky looking at that everyday!
19th April 2014

Wow our taggers are a bit more secretive doing it under the cover of dark!
19th April 2014

Almost reminds me of our back parking lot with all the graffitti!
19th April 2014

Haha well at least you wouldn't lose him!
20th April 2014

Wow, losing all that artwork seems almost as bad as losing New Orleans.
20th April 2014

One of the University Students, no doubt
20th April 2014

That would be considered offensive hereHe would be arrested by the Human Rights brigade
22nd April 2014

It's a beautiful city, if the kids want to paint they might get paid if they paintedhouses which desperately needs it!
23rd April 2014

That's nice!
23rd April 2014

It definitely personalizes the community....
23rd April 2014

Very Nice!
23rd April 2014

I have a mural they can paint inside my CONDO, if they want....
23rd April 2014

Looks like the coast of NFLD !!
23rd April 2014

What? That looks safe!
23rd April 2014

That doesn't even look real! It's very surreal....
23rd April 2014

Cute!
23rd April 2014

I actually like that ART....
23rd April 2014

Apparently it's not illegal there, OR, the Cops are asleep and its not a priority! LOL!
23rd April 2014

Of course they did! Canadian girls are the BEST!
23rd April 2014

Wow! Now, that is definitely NOT art!
23rd April 2014

Well Amanda, that's why Canadians are so uptight! It appears harmless from the outside looking in. We should not read into it. :)
23rd April 2014

I'm sure they would say that it is ART !!
23rd April 2014

It looks Wheelchair accessible! Can't complain about that!
23rd April 2014

That's quite impressive....
23rd April 2014

It could seriously pass for St. John's NFLD ! Looks like a friendly place :)

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb