More of Santiago


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region
November 14th 2019
Published: November 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We have had beautiful weather for all but an hour of rain during our trip. This has made it very enjoyable to walk around and see the sights. Today was another one of those days.



We did a walking tour of Santiago with another couple from Chicago. During the walk it was interesting to hear their stories about travels they have been on, where they have been and what they really enjoyed seeing.



We began the tour with ride through some of the sections of the city that have been heavily damaged by the demonstrations. Our guide wanted to explain what has been going on and why. He was deeply troubled by the extent of the damage to a city he was born and raised in and loves very much. He showed us the trucks that shoot water and tear gas which were parked near the President's Palace. They were covered in paint bombs.



We eventually parked in a structure and did a walking tour of the area Which included a stop at the President's Palace. Many of the buildings have the original facades in order to maintain their history but inside are newly constructed buildings also allowing for movement during earthquakes which are common in Chile.



While walking through one of the buildings which housed many vendors selling their merchandise someone was caught trying on a hat made in Ecuador. We also went into a drug store that is 175 years old with the original shelving and medicine drawers. Another stop was at a local coffee shop famous for it's waitresses who wear short skirts and their legs are visible beneath the counters. We stopped in the financial district to observe the stock exchange building and the club attached to it for the men working there.



We passed through the Plaza de Armas which we visited two days age. Moving on we walked down a street of vendors selling their wares and stopped at one location where seaweed was being sold. Our guide said they cut pieces of it off for teething babies to chew on. We eventually reached the fish market which had many fresh fish stalls and several fish restaurants serving fresh fish. We passed by the old Parliament building on our way back to the van.



It was another great day in Santiago.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Old Parliament BuildingOld Parliament Building
Old Parliament Building

Existing Parliament has moved to Valparaiso


Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb