Valparaiso to santiago- chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
January 21st 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.4691, -70.642

We left the ship at Valparaiso. It was great to be in heat again after a few chilly days in southern Chile.With so much luggage we had pre arranged a driver to take us around Valparaiso before going to Santiago.(Santiago Adventures) It is a large coastal city built on the hills with several funiculars to transport the residents. Vina del Mar is a holiday resort right next to it with elegant hotels and beaches. At the end of the beach are some rocks where sealions were sunning themselves. We had a walk through a park and around a square and then our driver took us along the highway to Santiago,stopping for a beer on the way. He was a friendly knowledgeable chap who told us all about the buildings and scenery on the way. This area of Chile looks so much like southern Spain- rounded red hills with wineries and olive groves in the valleys as well as crops of corn and avocados. It was interesting to see the vineyards of all the familiar wines eg Castillero del Diablo, which we can buy cheaper back home than here. Santiago is large being the capital but it is surrounded by the snow capped Andes and we both agreed it is an attractive city and we preferred it to Buenos Aires. Unfortunately we were there for only one night so only had time to eat out in the evening after spending a few hours by the lovely pool at the hotel. Our driver recommended we go to Pinpilinpausha, a restaurant in a lively area of town. Excellent chilly prawns and paella and a good atmosphere.At this time of year it is still sunny at 8pm. I fancied seeing sunrise so we left the curtains open. However, because of the mountains the sun doesnt reach the city till 7am. Would like to return and see more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



22nd January 2010

Is that water I see on the table or a mirage?

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb