Flyby Chile...


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
November 14th 2005
Published: December 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Wine museumWine museumWine museum

Cheesy grins anyone?
Crossing into Chile from Bolivia, we only had four days left in South America, so we immediately caught a bus from the border town of San Pedro de Atacama to Calama. We stayed one night here, but unfortunately due to time constraints, we couldn't visit the Copper mine to the north, the largest open mine in the world. Instead we then caught another bus to Antofogasta for our flight to Santiago.
Northern Chile will have to wait for another trip....(and the south!)

In Santiago, we visited San Cristobal hill for panoramic views of the city. The city zoo was also on this hill and went in for a look , although not perhaps the best place to see polar bears!
At the top we took a cable car to a wine museum, where we had a personal tour from the wine waiter, and a couple of tastings!

The following day, we continued where we'd left off, and went to Concha y Tora, a vineyard to the south of Santiago and one of the biggest in the region. We had a tour of the vineyard, and the famous Casillero del Diablo (Cellar of the Devil), which was so named because
BaboonsBaboonsBaboons

Just take the photo and throw me the nuts..!
the locals used to pinch the wine so the owner convinced them that the devil lived in the cellar to keep them away. Then we had a couple of tastings, one of Cabernet Sauvignon and the other of Carbenere which I'd never heard of, but it was great. Then a visit to the vineyard shop, where we felt it would be rude not to purchase a bottle or two!

Heading back into the city, we walked around the race course, but the Lonely Planet let us down and no horses were running that day, so it was back to the hostel to pack up our stuff before catching a taxi to the airport for our flight to Auckland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Concha y Tora tastingConcha y Tora tasting
Concha y Tora tasting

..hmm , oaky with a hint of gravel!
Hi Hostel ChileHi Hostel Chile
Hi Hostel Chile

Another home sweet home..


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb