South America Day 44 - Cerro San Cristóbal


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
February 21st 2019
Published: February 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

It’s our last day in Chile and we’re going to Cerro San Cristobal; a park on a hill on the edge of the city reached by a funicular railway.

First, breakfast from the mini market over the road. The old man buys a cake tossed in a thick coating of icing sugar and coconut. He puts it into a bag, then picks the bag up by the wrong end. The cake falls, he executes a miraculous catch, saving the cake and covering the next lady in the queue in sugar and coconut.

After we’ve finished juggling/eating breakfast, we walk to the funicular which operates from its own castle and takes you 500m up the hill for great views over the city. You can then climb past a series of decorated crosses to a 22m high statue of the Virgin Mary.

We descend the other side by cable car, then ascend on foot to the pretty Japanese Garden with more great views across the city, including the Costanera Centre – the tallest tower in Latin America. Then a 50 minute uphill scrabble to Antilen, for a view which probably didn’t warrant the effort in 30 degree heat.

We slip-slide our way back down the hill and head for the Costanera Centre, where you can take a lift to the top for ‘the best view in Latin America’. We lose interest when we realise they want £18 a ticket and walk to the (free) sculpture park instead.

Then we walk the final 2.5 miles back our apartment (not my idea) bringing the total amount walked today to a good 4 hours. Then it’s an early night (assisted by today’s exertion) as we have a taxi to the airport booked for 3.30 am.
















Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb