The Grandest Adventure of Them All


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Providencia
February 9th 2017
Published: February 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

It all Started with a Plan



Last Sunday, CJ, Anna, and I had made plans to travel to Cajon del Maipo to go hiking. It was going to be the first real opportunity I had to go hiking outside of Santiago proper. The plan was a loose one at best; we were going to meet at 8:15 in metro station Tobalaba, before heading to Las Mercedes, where we would take a colectivo to San Jose de Maipo. Well, we ended up running slightly behind because someone stopped for breakfast (which of course, was closed...). Then we headed to Las Mercedes, where we were disappointed to realize that the little convenience stores in the station where we had planned to stock up on water and snacks for the day were closed (because who gets up early on a Sunday morning?). Luckily for us, we found a giant grocery store (similar to a Walmart) when we exited the station. We stocked up on water and food for the day there, before heading back out to find a colectivo with a sign for 'San Jose de Maipo'. Well, we didn't find one, but instead we found a micro (which looks something like a large multi-passenger van, but on the inside is structured like a bus). We got on there. Now, we had arrived at the end of the plan. There was no more after that. We had a general idea to get off at the last stop in San Jose de Maipo, wherever the micro took us, and try to find a trail from there. We never got that far.

Chance Encounter



The next stop after we got on the micro, a man and his son got on. At this point, the micro was so full there was no such thing as breathing room, let alone personal space. So, why not strike up a conversation with the person you're already up close and personal with anyway? Turns out they were also headed to Cajon del Maipo for the day. We spent some time talking on the micro, and then one of them asked what our plans were for the day. At which point we told them exactly what they were. None. Just get off the micro and start hiking. They mentioned they were going to be hiking up a mountain to do some rock climbing, and that we could follow them up and then keep hiking if we wanted to. Then some more people got off the micro, and I ended up taking a seat to make more room for oncoming passengers. A few stops later, they were getting of the micro and looked up and asked 'well, are you coming'? CJ, Anna, and I looked back and forth at each other before deciding 'why not?!'. The next thing we knew we were getting to know the man and his son as we walked down the main road in San Jose de Maipo. All of a sudden, a jeep full of people pulls up along side us and starts talking (it was rapid fire Spanish, all lost on me). Turns out, they were part of our new group too!

I Thought I was In-Shape



After awhile, we turned down a gravel path that resembled a driveway...it was. I think. Then we walked through a horse pasture before finding a trail that led up the mountain. Let me tell you, I have never gone up a steep mountain trail that fast in my life. I thought I was in pretty good shape, as it turns out, I'm just skinny. While most of the Chileans, Columbians, and part-Ecuadorians were headed up the mountain at a pace beyond my comprehension, CJ and I lagged behind (Anna rocked it and kept up). Andres and Xavier (the man and his son who had invited us along) were kind enough to offer to take breaks with us so that we could rest and catch our breath (read 'not die'). Eventually we made it up the mountain, and the views were spectacular. I asked how long it had taken us to get up the mountain, and I was told 'half an hour'. I'm pretty sure it took longer than that, it certainly felt longer than that, but either way, it was pretty stinkin' fast. But I wouldn't have traded the resulting endorphins and views!

Another Twist



As I mentioned, the group we were with was going rock climbing. They were serious about it, too. They had all their own gear, varying levels/years of experience, and immediately began setting up the climbs. We got to take some awesome pictures, too. We were just hanging out, practicing our Spanish conversation skills (or at least, trying to), and then next thing we know, one of them turns to us and says "this guy here is the slowest, so he goes last. After him, you guys can try too, if you want"! So, all of a sudden, we're being asked what our shoe sizes are, and matched up with the person who has the closest fit. Then Anna is up on a cliff on the side of a mountain, and next thing I know, so am I! It was Anna and CJ's first time rock climbing ever, and my first time since back at Strong Rock in 2013. Needless to say, it was a big jump for all of us! Luckily, they were super patient, because I was not great, still am sorta scared or heights, and didn't understand the technical Spanish for climbing. Fortunately, some of them spoke English, and Anna spoke the best Spanish (of the gringos). I understood pierna (leg), pie (foot), mano (hand), izquierda and derecha (left and right), but not rodilla! Turns out, they were trying to tell me there was a foothold next to my left knee... oy. After that, we moved to another (harder) rock face, which had a nice shady spot for eating lunch. After that, everyone got another turn at climbing. We had an absolutely incredible experience, and they were the most friendly and kind strangers/fellow outdoors-lovers that I've ever met, and were super patient and generous in sharing their time, gear, and experience with us. Without question, this was the greatest random adventure experience that I've had in Chile to date!

*There was also a cute stray dog that followed us up the mountain...he outpaced everyone.

**For a visual on the day, check out this video by CJ!
">


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0963s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb