I've never had travel sickness


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Providencia
November 6th 2012
Published: November 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To SA we go!


Out the plane windowOut the plane windowOut the plane window

Minus 54 degrees Celsius outside.
You know when you feel like you're going to throw up; saliva pools on your tongue, your throat forces itself open in preparation and your whole body goes cold even though you're even sweating on your arms. I had this in waves towards the latter end of our plane trip. Every time I looked back at the colour of the toilet vacancy sign it was only ever green when some obstruction was preventing a swift run with hand over mouth. So I rode them out until we landed and threw up finally at Santiago airport. Welcome to Chile!

Unfortunately though, while Coebbie and I were gagging another plane or two must have landed and we had to line up for an hour before getting through immigration. Not fun on shaky knees.

The rest went pretty smooth and we were eventually showered and in bed after being awake for 24 hours.

We got out of bed for our free dinner of pasta and a piddle of sauce made of bulk onion, capsicum and tomato. Still not hungry I gave most of mine away to some Aussie dude. Coebbie made himself feel better with a litre of beer, which is
Un litro de cerveza por favorUn litro de cerveza por favorUn litro de cerveza por favor

"I don't know why we bother with 750ml when we can just have a litre!" - Coebbie
pretty much the only way they serve beer here. He's in his element.


Gone walking




We were up early this morning still in work mode I think. We had our free breakfast of cereal and toast with cheese and a cup of tea (burnt coffee for Coebbie). I couldn't stomach the cereal though because it was so sweet and still can't stomach sweet foods after being sick.



We went for a monstrous walk into the city, climbed to the top of a castle with an amazing view of the city. Chile is surrounded by the Andes snowcapped mountain range, which you can see hints of through the smog in the distance. They don't make mountains like that in Australia. They're big enough that even though they're covered in snow, it's still really hot and humid in Santiago.



My spanish is a bit rusty, which made ordering lunch today difficult and I ended up with two chops. I got my dodgy salad in the end but still haven't really had a decent meal yet. We'll get there.



After a massive day of walking we fell asleep on the
Santiago CitySantiago CitySantiago City

Can you see the mountains through the smog?
grass in the park for 2 hours. It was actually really lovely.



Almost time for our free dinner again. Pasta again maybe? Then we've downgraded to the mixed bed dorm room. Bunk beds - Yay!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

On top of SantiagoOn top of Santiago
On top of Santiago

Repunzel Repunzel let down your hair...
Taking selfies like a bossTaking selfies like a boss
Taking selfies like a boss

Still on top of the castle
Queen of the CastleQueen of the Castle
Queen of the Castle

You can't see it but I'm actually wearing my trail runners - hot!
The walk back downThe walk back down
The walk back down

Not so easy in thongs.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb