Punta Arenas to Torres del Paine


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
October 19th 2014
Published: October 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Punta Arenas to Torres del Paine National Park, a beautiful road trip through southern Patagonia.

We were so lucky, the weather on Saturday was as spectacular as the scenery, warm and sunny in the car but with a reminding bite from the wind when we got out to take photos.

The journey took 3 hours north across the pampa to Puerto Natales where we had lunch beside a sparkling lagoon with snowy mountains behind. The local kids looked pretty excited by the building of a new skate park, and there was some impressive public art beside the water. Puerto Natales is a port town which services southern Patagonia, and is launching pad for Torres del Paine National Park.

Soon after we left town we caught sight of the towers and they are impressive, even from a distance. The road turned to gravel and the towers loomed larger. After entering the park we started seeing huanacos, which resemble a llama, but are actually related to camels, and are the main source of food for the local pumas, another thing the park is famous for.

To get to our hotel we skirted the towers and many brightly coloured lakes, with massive ice fields in the distance. It is jaw dropping scenery. I've attached some pictures of our day on the road.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



23rd October 2014

Punta Arenas to Torres del Paine
Love the Blog, awesome photo's, Kangaroojack (Kj)

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb