Southern Patagonia


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
November 15th 2012
Published: November 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

From The Lake District we flew further south to Southern Patagonia into Punta Arenas which is not only 3000 miles couth of Santiago but the furthest town south on the mainland of South America. After a visit to a penguin colony we headed for Puerto Natales being one of the gateways into the National Park of Bernardo O'Higgins. After a nights rest we boarded a boat that was to take us on a 4 hour cruise deep into the park where the scenery was breathtaking. Plenty of photographs were taken.

We were treated to the spectactular Serrano and Monte Balmaceda Glaciers which unfortunately are decreasing in size due to the changing climate.

After lunch we were transferred to a large inflatable speed boat to take us the last 35 km to the National Park of Torres Del Paine where we were to spend a couple of days. More of that later. The dash down the river was exhilarating to say the least coupled with the wonderful scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

John on deckJohn on deck
John on deck

There was a very cold wind blowing and plenty of warm clothes were required
John and Margaret John and Margaret
John and Margaret

All togged up for the speed boat ride
What are you looking at?What are you looking at?
What are you looking at?

A shot of a penguin taken at penguin colony


17th November 2012

Loving the blog and photos but where is Lynne? X
20th November 2012

variety!!
Hello John....what a variety of pictures but I was most intrigued with the penguin. I didn't know that they came with those markings. I always imagined they all had the familar "tuxedo" look, and I wondered if the ones you saw all looked like this one.

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb