W Trek


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Met up with a couple I met in Rio, Ruth and Brian, to start the W trek from Puerto Natales. The first day was nice and sunny (although very cold from the famous Patagonian winds!) and gave us some great views of the torres del paine. Just before the first campsite, we climbed a hill and to give us a view of a gorgeous turqoise-blue lake and the jagged mountains behind it. That night we camped and because the sky was completely clear and we were out in the middle of nowhere (not even the refugios are open at this time of year!) the night was just filled with millions of stars that you can never normally see.

During the night however, it started to rain pretty heavily and didn't stop all of the next day! The walk still gave us some amazing views though, and we had some excitement crossing the various torrents of water that are usually gentle streams!

Final day of walking, we woke up to snow outside our tent (yes, I camped in the snow!). The trail took us up a bit higher than before and there was snow everywhere, but it only added to the panoramics. Saw a lot of condors too and fairly close as we were so high, and on the final part of the trail back to the park entrance saw a patagonian skunk!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb