Penguins!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
March 4th 2012
Published: March 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we awoke to some rainy weather, but by about 10 it was just cloudy. We bought our tickets to head to Isla Magdellena, the island of penguins, which is in the Strait of Magellen. Another mastery of public transit occurred with the "collectivos" (shared taxi´s) to get us to the port. We rode 2 hours out to the island on a large ferry that can hold 200ish people, but we only had 80 or so on the boat. We spent an hour on the island. Incredible. There were hundreds...no thousands of penguins everywhere. They migrate to the island from Brasil and other places to breed. They are there from about October and will be leaving relatively soon I think. The babies have already made their way up North. The teenagers are molting so there are feathers everywhere. And the adults just seem to hang out.

Oh yeah, we visited the town cemetary this morning too. Very impressive. Lots of history there with travelers from all over the world.

Tomorrow we are off to Puerto Natales and will be spending some time backpacking in Torres del Paine National Park. We´ll be back on the blog in a week or so. For now, enjoy the Penguin photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



5th March 2012

Yay for penguins!
Looks awesome. Sounds like everything is going great! Can't wait to see the next post : )
6th March 2012

I LOVE PENGUINS!
Penguins are so great. I love this blog!!
7th March 2012

Cool penguins!
Were they all the same variety or were there different types?
9th March 2012

Kinds of Penguins
They were all the same, the Magellean Penguins.
7th March 2012

Penguins !!
Oh, I was there a month ago, saw the Cemetary as well. The Penguins were great, we had brill walking in Torres del Paine, had excellant weather. Hope you have the same. I came upon your Blog while looking for friends Blog we met in El Calafate.

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb