Day 4, 24 February, Southern Patagonia FITZ ROY EXPEDITION, Gabriel Channel - Caleta Dighton


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
February 24th 2019
Published: March 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 4, 24 February, Southern Patagonia FITZ ROY EXPEDITION, Gabriel Channel - Caleta Dighton:

Early in the morning we went out in the zodiacs to visit the Tucker Islands, the place of Magellanic Penguins, Skuas, Cormorants on the rocks and Imperial Cormorants, non flying Quetru ducks (Magellanic flightless steamer duck) and Kelp geese, among other birds, in addition we will observe One Hair Sea lions that use their rocks to rest. The Quetru ducks were difficult to photograph because they were so quick, zipping along the water.

There were 2 small islands that acted as resting places for the sealions. They were very inquisitive of us and jumped off the rocks to see what we were. There were a number of pregnant sealions as well.

It was good to observe the Magellanic Penguins because we had only seen 4 in the Falklands. There was a colony of about 200 birds, including young ones which had nearly completed their moulting.

Early in the afternoon we hopped into the zodiacs for a short trip to Buckland Glacier, Filton Fjord. There was a lake in front of the hanging glacier, but it was overcast and a little windy so there was no reflections and poor lighting and therefore not as good for photography. The serious photographers lost interest quickly and after 45 minutes we returned to the ship. I experimented with the glass sphere that Kerrie had given to me for Christmas which was good fun. I have included some of the images.

As we were returning to the ship, the Peale’s Dolphins joined us again. As soon as they hear a motor and see waves, it seams they love to play with the waves, so we have seen lots of them.

In the late afternoon we started sailing through the Gabriel Channel to leave Tierra del Fuego behind, to navigate the Strait of Magellan towards the second part of this expedition, the Francisco Coloane Marine Park, a place for bird watching, Sea Lions and feeding the Humpback Whale.

Each night one of our guides, Francisco was providing information on our plan for the next day. We had just started a conversation about the possibility of seeing whales. In the mouth of the Strait of Magellan heading towards Barbara Channel, there are a lot of phytoplankton and other nutrients in the water from the Pacific Ocean and southern waters, so this attracts the whales. In the middle of this conversation, the driver called out that he had sighted a whale. We all rushed out with coats and cameras and I saw 3 whales. Everyone was very excited. I got a couple of reasonable photos. As they moved away from the boat, I saw them breaching. We were all hoping this was an indicator of great viewing of these big animals over the next few days.

After 10 hours of sailing we arrived at Dighton Cove, near Santa Ines Island, in the Barbara Channel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb