Tourists del Paine


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Puerto Natales
January 5th 2011
Published: January 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: See Saw! 25 secs
2: 30 secs
WOW. We´re speachless, but will try our best to put into words what a fantastic experience we´ve had in Patagonia.

We left Puerto Natales for Torres del Paine and hiked ¨the grand circuit¨over a period of 9 days. This voyage circumnavigates the best parts of this national parque. We saw everything from meadows to the largest glacier in South America, to the Torres del Paine, which are 2-3,000 ft granite batholiths that pierce the sky. There is usually very unpredictable weather, including rain and random snow. We experienced the opposite. Every day was sunny and spectacular.

We spent Christmas, Mom´s birthday, and el Año Nuevo in the park. We met great folks along the trail, a few of which paralleled our journey.

Here is a list of things that happened to us along the way:

1. Jessica was forced to do a summersault by a horrendous, ¨uplifting¨ wind which we guesstimate was somewhere in the range of 1-2 billion miles per hour. She was thrown off the trail, lost a sandal, her beanie, and her glasses were miraculously bent back into a shape which now fits her head better.

2. Matthew also had an uplifting wind experience. While in Buenos Aires we viewed a film called Äctividad Paranormal Dos, in which paranormal forces drag people upstairs and throw them against the wall. We likened the wind to this force, especially when it ran Matthew up a mountainside. He could not contend with this force or stop running.

3. We spread some of Mom´s ashes in Lago Grey, which eventually connects to the Pacific Ocean.

4. We ate cookies, snickers, and other items sold at the conveniently placed backcountry kiosks. They were overpriced but delicious!

5. We spend new year´s eve with 5 ladies who all know each other from Columbia Law School. They are all stationed in different locations now (mexico city, congo, santiago, and kosovo) but get together once a year for a reunion. They were smart, fun, and firey. They even hooked us up with dessert from their new year´s eve dinner (which we were not willing to pay for).

6. We felt welcomed ¨home¨when we returned to our hostel in Puerto Natales. Omar, the great host, and Beth, our pseudo tour guide from Wales welcomed us with open arms.

7. We took another 30 hour bus along the historic Route 40 to Bariloche. It is an unpaved and bumpy road running along the western side of Argentina.

8. We´re in Bariloche currently. Our adventures include getting our camera fixed, buying bus tickets, grocery shopping, and eating chocolate. All in Spanish.

Bariloche is nice. It is the ¨Breckenridge of South America.¨ Very touristy. Too many chocolate and t shirt shops to count! It is beautiful and everyone is friendly. We are headed out tomorrow to go climbing at The Frey, an area which is about a 4 hour hike from here. Here´s a link with photos of the area:

http://www.pataclimb.com/climbingareas/freycatedral.html

The routes are short (2-6 pitches) but the climbing is supposed to be world class. Jess will be up there for two weeks until she moves on to a Folk Music Festival in Cordoba. Matt will be there for up to six weeks.

We are still fortunate to have so many great folks in our lives, and are thinking of you.

Until Next Time.

Matt and Jess



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Glacier Los PerrosGlacier Los Perros
Glacier Los Perros

Our lovely Irish friend John took this photo. Day 5
Glacier GreyGlacier Grey
Glacier Grey

One of the most impressive things we´ve seen. Ever. Seriously. We guess its about 4 miles long. The 3rd largest glacier in the southern hemisphere!
FroceanFrocean
Frocean

Frozen ocean. more of glacier grey.
The teeth of Glacier GreyThe teeth of Glacier Grey
The teeth of Glacier Grey

About to swallow us with its beauty.
Crackers in a bowl.Crackers in a bowl.
Crackers in a bowl.

ït´s like cereal, but with pb and j.
Our companionsOur companions
Our companions

These flowers accompanied us throughout our trek
Inflatable JessInflatable Jess
Inflatable Jess

¨ahh the wind¨
The CuernosThe Cuernos
The Cuernos

These are incredible hunks of rock!


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb