Ice Age 3! Where is the Acorn?


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Puerto Natales
September 27th 2007
Published: September 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey there hope everyone is well and preparing for our grand return home - mum have you made up the spare room yet!! Only 2 weeks left - eeeeeeeeeeeek - and still so much to tell you all about and see!
We moved from the pouring rain in BA to the suffocating heat and stickiness of Puerto Iguazu in far north-east Argentina, to once again experience the suffering of mosquitos bites. Arriving mid afternoon we were too late for a tour that day so signed up for a travel extravaganza for the following day. Wake up in Argentina, breakfast in Paraguay, lunch in Brazil and back to Argentina for dinner, so we are now, unexpectedly, in country number 6! However of course there was more to the tour than that. First stop in Paraguay was the Dam. Itaipu Dam is the largest hydro electic station in the world at 1.6 million killowatts not the most impressive thing we have seen this trip but kinda cool as i did a project on it when i was at school and i was nice to actually go and have a tour.
After dwindling in a rubbish market for half an hour we were taken back to Brazil and to an all you can eat buffet lunch back in Brazil (Its a challange not just a type of menu!!!!!!!!), which was incredible. To walk off lunch, the final stop of the day is the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls, The falls can also be visited from the Argentinian side as they stretch for 2km between the borders. Surrounded by jungle (and apparently some very dangerous cats), we caught a bus to the nature trail that leads down to the view points of the falls, and there to greet us off the bus are these crazy little animals called Coatis. Looking like a relative of a racoon, they have fangs the size off a wolf but still everyone is teasing them with food and coaxing them to pose for photos. The yelps of a bitten kiddies ankle came as no surprise! The falls are two times larger than Niagra Falls and the word i'm looking for is impressive, even in low water (which it was) the falls are impressive. With all the money from tourists the governments have built viewing platforms onto, round and even over different individual falls and the afternoon was spent gazing and wondering if i'd make it in a kayak. It was just a shame that the weather was not so good but we hoped for the next day it might improve as we toured the Argentina side. Back into Argentina for Dinner!
We awoke the next day to glorious sunshine. The trip to the falls is only 30min on the bus and we arrived nice and early as there is many more falls and forest trails this side and a jet boat ride on the rapids and into the falls. Within seconds of getting there we cane face to face with the largest lizard we have encountered so far, feeling mighty happy with life we took a stroll through the forest to the train station which then takes you a futher few km upstream to the largest fall "Garganta Del Diablo" (the devils throat).
The viewing platforms extend to the very edge and the noise and views are amazing. From here we returned by train to the forest station where we proceeded to walk the lower loop taking us to our boat ride. For this we were prepared, all clothing off and into a waterproof bag swimming costumes on. The boat takes you on a tour of some of the smaller falls (which you go under some of) then back down the rapids to the second largest falls. The boat powers into the spray and you have no idea where you are or how close to the falls you go before powering out ready to turn and do it all over again.
After our boat trip (thouroughly soaked) we decided to tour the central island where not so many tourists venture, and now we know why! The island has many signs warning to stay on the path as there are many snakes, i dont think the snakes can read the signs as they took to the paths too. By the second hiss i was running grabbing Vicky on my way past and back to the mainland. If only i wasnt wearing flip flops i would have stood my ground! Honest!
After several hours of looking at Cascades we were done and returned to our hostal for a steak dinner and a live show. Well the next 4 days we were spending on a bus or 3. Iguazu to BA, BA to Rio Gallagos, Rio Gallagos to El Calafate. Just under 2000 miles in back to back buses. Arriving in El Calafate was as you might imagin a huge relief, and we were happy to call it home for the next 7 days. During this time we took some time out watching the rugby, walking and washing clothes etc. However the highlight has to be our trip to the Perito Moreno Glacier, The worlds fastest moving glacier and one of the only static glaciers left today ( The glacier receeds and advances roughly 200 mtrs every year, however maintains its position overall). The day starts with a boat trip to the far shore of the south lake where we were briefed on the statistics, 30km long 4 km wide at the shearing face (where it meets the lake) 100m high above water and 200m deep below water. As its moving so quickly the glacier effectively pushes sections off collapsing into the lakes on the north and south side (carving). We then donned crampons for a 2hr hike onto the glacier to take in the sheer enormous size of it whilst at all times hearing the creeks and cracks as it literally moved beneath us.
After lunch we toured the North face (more east if you look at it) which catches the sun and therefore carves more frequently as the ice melts a little and cannot hold its own weight. Huge chunks crashing into the water and breaking up on impact. We could have stood watching for days.
We finally left El Calafate this morning and headed south into country number 7! We are in Puerto Natales waiting to for our Ferry to dock so we can board. We will be cruising up south Patagonia, Chile up to Puerto Montt for the next 4 days, hopefully through icebergs (not into them)! We will let you know how it goes in our next update, of which will be our finale as we will be gracing the UK with our presence in less then 2 weeks.
Due to this being the end of the trip there will be no more photos until we get back when you can invite us round for tea (we will be homeless) and we can bore you with all 4000 of them!
Ciao ciao chicos xxx

Advertisement



3rd October 2007

Hola
Hey guys, hope you remember me and Ruth from Garden House. Sorry we didn´t get the chance to say goodbye before you left. This is a great blog on Iguaza Falls, and it´s where we're headed to next. I think I'll skip snake island though!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb