Easter Island but no Chocolate Eggs


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

First taste of South America



Arriving at the little airport at Easter Island we were soon donning floral garlands and shepherded into a minivan with 2 French girls and another Brit with his surf board. We felt instantly welcomed into the Ana Rapu guesthouse and then a little deserted by the host who we then did not see for a few days. We had 5 days to see the sights of Easter Island, plenty of time for a bit of relaxation as well.


Hanga Roa



There is only one town on Easter Island, Hanga Roa, where the 4,000 inhabitants and their many dogs and horses live (along with millions of nocturnal cockroaches - are they always nocturnal?). Its quite a small town with a few tourist shops and cafes and only some of the roads are paved. Throw in the common sight of a local commuting to work on horseback, a strong spanish influence and you have quite an interesting place to stay in for a few days. After soaking in the relaxed atmosphere and eating our first "completo"s (hot dogs with lots of sauce and tomatoes, a staple in Chile) we decided to spend some time seeing the famed archaeological sights of the island.


Touring the island’s Moai statues



We hired a jeep for the day. Not sure that we chose the best hire shop - we seemed to have full liability for the jeep which already had a pretty flat back tyre (but with the spanner the shop owner gave us we were sure to be fine). The island is only about 25km long so we easily made our way around to the many different sites. Noone is sure how and why all the Moai statues were carved and put in place, mostly by the sea. However, they do know that about 400 years ago the trees had all been cut down and food probably was scarce and so family groups started fighting and pulling down each other's Moai statues. Many of these are still face down. Other sights have been resurrected. At Tongariki there are 15 statues back on their platform and they look stunning. Some of the statues are so big and the faces very expressive. We have been really impressed.

As well as visiting sites where the completed Moai had been taken to, we went to the “quarry” where they were originally carved out. There are many statues left here, some looking complete, others only half cut out. One is over 20m long. The quarry is based on an extinct volcano and we walked up to the crater rim and got a great view of the island.


History Lessons



Feeling very fortunate to come to Easter Island we decided we should make a special effort to understand the history, going beyond the trusty Lonely Planet guidebook. Our first attempt was to watch a screening of the well-known Hollywood blockbuster “Rapa Nui”. Not a very accurate or informative history lesson. We next visited the island’s museum which was quite helpful in explaining the theories about the island’s history. This is actually the FIRST MUSEUM OF OUR TRIP!!!


Cuenta Cuesta, Si, No and Los Banos



Spending 5 days in Easter Island did give us the opportunity to be slowly be broken into South American travel. We have learnt a few words although the spanish language will be a steep learning curve from now on. We have also taken in some culinary culture with not just hotdogs but also some churrascos and, obviously, wine. I’m sure it won’t just be the language, food and wine which will make the next 3 months in South America memorable. Bring on Chile. (Oh, and Adios; we know that one!!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



7th May 2007

Baby
Just to let you know that Robert and Cindy have had a baby girl - Chloe Mae. The Barlow family expands!
8th May 2007

Fantastic news
Congratulations on becoming grandparents again. We look forward to catching up with all of you when we get back.
21st May 2007

Hairy worm
Hey guys. Great to see still enjoying...Pete...felt obliged to ask if you'd noticed whats under your nose??!! Good look. Get rid before you come back!
21st May 2007

Eradicated...
Nick, thanks for your concern. I think I picked up the worm somewhere in the Pacific but now have treated it with Gillette medication and my boyish good features have been restored. Hope that puts everyones' minds at rest. Pete
3rd January 2011
Sunsets

Awesome picture, so jealous I'd love to go there!

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb