Rapa Nui: Tapati Festival, Remote, Fascinating


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island » Hanga Roa
February 9th 2023
Published: February 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

A note from Merry Jo:

As children we see things that leave an impact on us for life. Our imaginations can run wild after seeing a photograph or hearing a story. How we process that information depends on our creative side and the imagery created with our minds. I remember very distinctly sitting on the floor of the den in my childhood home five decades ago looking at multiple National Geographic magazines. One that stood out featured photos of the carved stones on Rapa Nui often referred to as Easter Island. I knew someday I would arrive in this mysterious land that is isolated from the world. To get there you fly to Santiago, Chile and then fly 2200 miles (5 hours) over the ocean to this remote island. As I walked down the airplane staircase towards the tarmac emotion filled me a tear slowly ran down my cheek. If you dream it…. it can come true.

This island and “special state” of Chile actually is known by three names: the familiar “Easter Island,” which was coined by Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen in 1722 when he discovered the island on…what else…Easter Sunday. As an aside, Roggeveen gained credit for
Standing TallStanding TallStanding Tall

Sacred Sites
discovering Bora Bora and Samoa. The island is also known by its Spanish name “Isla de Pascua,” which is the Spanish name for the island. The third name of the island is the local one, “Rapa Nui,” which is also the name of the people and the language. We like this one best.

Rapa Nui is incredibly remote as islands go. The nearest settlement of any kind is Pitcairn Island (pop. 50) which lies more than 2000 km away. The nearest continental point away is in Chile, almost 2200 km away. That, dear readers is the ultimate definition of remote. Find a map and see for yourself. They are back to having daily flights from Santiago. At one time there were three flights a day pre-pandemic.

We enjoy visiting countries during celebrations and festivals as it gives us a deeper dive into the culture and history of the people. In doing research on Rapa Nui, we discovered their annual cultural festival took place the first two weeks of February so our fate was sealed that our trip must coincide with the Tapati Festival. The Rapa Nui are of Polynesian descent who navigated the seas from Tahiti to the shores of this land about a thousand years ago and in modern times have ties to Chile. The festival celebrates the first Polynesian settlers and their king Hotu Matu’a and has been going on for about 40 years. Chile declared the island to be a National Park in 1935, and in 1996 UNESCO designated the island a World Heritage Site. Rapa Nui has a rather complex relationship with Chile, having gained full citizenship in the 1960’s. The relationship they have with Chile is somewhat similar to the one between the U.S. and Puerto Rico and yet very different.

The owners of the B&B sent a pick up truck to pick us up at the airport and a brief tour of the town. We were able to see where the festival activities would take place, encouraged us to visit the local cemetery and viewed a few recommended restaurants. We also purchased our National Parks pass, which allows entry to all the sites. Once we settled into our home for the next few nights we headed out for ceviche and local beer. Our next few days were filled with ancient and sacred sites, fresh seafood, great conversation with the locals and the enjoyment of the Tapati Festival.

A few of the festival relay races and boat races take place during the day around 3pm at various locations. The majority of the events, the food and trinket vendors and performances take place near the center of town on the coast and began around 8pm and lasted until midnight. Naps were required a couple of days to fully enjoy the events. Part of the reason for this was that we are more mature travelers, staying up later at night and the other is that a certain rooster would awaken us in the wee hours well before sunrise.

Our guide Claudio filled our heads with ancient stories of his Polynesian culture as we enjoyed our first day on the island visiting the key sites of Vaihu, Akahanga, Rano Raraku, the well known Tongariki, Te pito kura and Anakena. It was key to gain an understanding of the people who inhabit this island, how they got here and the unique phases of history that molded them into the people and place they are today.

Most people who have heard of Easter Island associate the island with the large unique rock statues. These statues, reaching up to 20 meters are called Moai and some 900 of them were completed by the end of the 17th century. When you visit the quarry where these impressive carvings were created it can be mind boggling to understand the process to create, awareness of the basic tools available, and visualize the process to get them to stand and move them to their sacred location on the island. The island believes in conservation and preservation not restoration. In many instances around the island, you will see Moai that were never completed and never will be. It is important to leave them in their natural state to present more accurate picture. The recent fires on the island did leave some damage but the plant life has grown back already. Damage to some of the Moais occurred, but most were unaffected.

Easter Island is a unique and starkly beautiful landscape with three volcanic craters, lava formations, brilliant blue water, beaches, low rolling hills and cattle farms. Its triangular shape is measured at about 15 miles by 8 miles in size. The main attraction here are the enigmatic 30+ foot tall statues. After three days of hiking and touring, we rented a car and went off to enjoy the beach with our friends Dez and Humberto who we are traveling with on this trip. It provided us with a great down day at a most attractive beach.

While some may have this image of a Polynesian island with its serene setting and peaceful time, there was a period in Rapa Nui’s past where the various tribes on the island did not get along. As all over the world people strive for power, food and resources. The angst between the tribes caused wars and during this time most of the stones were toppled according to historians. As a side note, one of the main researchers in our lifetime was the well-known Thor Heyerdahl, who was famous for his voyage on the Kon-Tiki and his research of the Polynesian culture. His contributions to the understanding of the Rapa Nui people were quite helpful.

This island used to have many palm trees and at a point in history the value of these trees was not understood, and all were destroyed. In recent years a few trees were brought from Tahiti, but they are not in abundance. Historically, the largest
Beautiful Islands off ShoreBeautiful Islands off ShoreBeautiful Islands off Shore

Part of the Birdman Competition
population on the island reached nearly 10,000. Currently there are about 8,000 residents. At one time these people were almost exterminated as the population went as low as 115 people in the late 1800’s when many were sold as slaves to the Chilean people, only to have some returned to the island where they infested the remaining natives with diseases they had acquired while in Chile. The population was decimated, but slowly recovered.

Sacred history….

The birdman cult is another fascinating aspect of the Rapa Nui, an extinct religion where the bird played a central role. Every year, a competition would take place in which four noblemen were selected by prophets to retrieve the first egg of the season from a nearby island. Rather than do it themselves, the noblemen would choose a servant to climb down the treacherous cliff face and swim towards the island. Many died in the process, but upon returning with the egg, the winner allowed his master to achieve the illustrious title of Tangata Manu(birdman). This newly entitled birdman was considered sacred and given a special hut in which he should do nothing more than eat and sleep for the next 12 months.
Crater ViewCrater ViewCrater View

Rapa Nui has so much to offer.


One of the most fascinating aspects of these ancient people was the innovation of mulching methods and crop protection using local volcanic stones to ensure proper irrigation and a healthy crop. They were very resourceful in using the same volcanic rocks to build chicken coops to protect their animals from theft. They houses were used for sleeping only and daily life was all outside.

As we do all around the world, we went to the local grocery for supplies and they are short in variety and quantity. Fresh fruit stands are in strong supply throughout town. Life on this island presents challenges as you don’t just go down the street to buy a car or furniture. In modern times these items are ordered online and flown in at a cost of 4,000 pesos per kilo for shipping.

Horses and cows roam free so be cautious as you are driving around the island. Education and healthcare are provided on the island and locals fly to Santiago for healthcare emergencies, complex medical care and higher learning at the university. Locals do not pay income or property taxes. The island was closed for 2 ½ years during COVID and just reopened in August of 2022. As we’ve traveled around the world, we’ve seen small towns or isolated areas where the young people have left for university and not returned. We found it interesting that a good number of young people return to Rapa Nui after university. That speaks well for the quality of life.

Twice we visited the iconic statues featured in many famous photos. Once during mid-day and once at sunrise. We recommend you do the same. Another day of touring the island took us to the crater and navel of the world where we are told north on a compass becomes disoriented when holding it over the stone. We viewed historic settlements to gain a better understanding of the life of these ancient people throughout the years. We encourage you to take the hike to the caves if you want to see a bit more of the island.

This was our first trip traveling with our friends Dez and Humberto. We met Dez when we were working in California about a decade ago. The friendship has grown over the years and we decided to travel together. We have had a wonderful time and meshed well. We are eagerly planning future trips.

LATAM Airlines: Flights from Santiago reopened in August 2022. When we booked our flights they were only flying in twice a week. Now there are daily flights. Prior to COVID there were two or three flights daily.

National Parks Pass: You can apply on line (which we had difficulty with as is it is Spanish only or pick it up in town at the Tourist Office. It took 5 minutes to obtain. The pass is good for 10 days and must be kept with you at all times. Since the island reopened, they require a guide with you when visiting the sacred sites. Keep a copy of your passport with you as they check it from time to time. A photocopy of the passport is sufficient.

Where we stayed: Hare Henua Bed & Breakfast – a small quaint family owned and operated Bed & Breakfast. Well run and comfortable – kindness. Located across from the Super Market and easy location for walking to town. From the moment we made the reservation Carolina (responds quickly via What’s App +56 9 9091 1340)was contacting us to see how she could assist with ours,
Boat RacesBoat RacesBoat Races

Tapati Festival Activity
car rentals and information for the island. She sent us the Tapati Festival schedule once it was published. They assisted us in renting a car for the day so we could have a relaxed beach day and explore on our own. It’s not every place you can swim in the bay while looking at Moai Statutes!

Our Guide: Claudio Tucki – excellent guide who speaks Rapa Nui, Spanish, English and French fluently. We highly recommend using this exceptional guide. We were with him for 3 days. He has a clean and comfortable vehicle. He provided non-stop information, history, local lore and answered all questions. In our opinion he was far superior to other guides who we passed along the way who didn’t seem to provide the level of information we were experiencing. (available via What’s App. +56 9 8759 2221). ctctucki@hotmail.com

We signed up for the following tours:

- Full day exploration of the island and major Moai’s.

- The Caves hike which was exceptional.

- We went back to Tonariki for sunrise. We highly recommend sunrise!

- Birdman Tour: which takes you to one of the craters and other significant sacred sites on the island.

Other options: Hiking or horseback to the highest point on the island, scuba diving, boat rides and Stargazing.

**** We absolutely recommend you visit during the Tapati Festival to experience their pride, heritage, dancing, singing, relay races, body art and string competitions.

Recommended Restaurants: they have very good food on the island

La Taverne du Pecheur

Topa Ra’a

Ira Bar & Bistro

Ariki o te Pana’

Takeo Restaurant

Taina Pizza

Te Moai Sunset

Te Moana

Opinion: Before we went to Rapa Nui people asked why we were staying on the island 6 nights as they heard you could see the island in two days. Generally, we travel slower than others to immerse into the culture. In this case limited flights were being booked and we didn’t want to miss their cultural festival. Yes, you can see it in very busy 2 days. We would recommend 4 nights to take the 3 days of tours we did and possibly others. We didn’t have any trouble enjoying our last two days on the island. As expected they have weak and intermittent internet on this isolated island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

Women's RelayWomen's Relay
Women's Relay

Running with Watermelons


10th February 2023
Tapati Festival

Wow!
The racing apparel and the dancing would have me there tomorrow if I could catch a flight :-). After spending a month in both Samoas I can definitely say that these folks look physically very different from that other Polynesian culture.
10th February 2023
Tapati Festival

Wow!
The guys dancing and running the relays we definitely fit. We have not made it to the Samoas yet.
10th February 2023

High on my bucket list!
Amazing! I've been looking to head out here in the near future - looks like I'll be trying for next February. Thanks so much for the recommendations. Looks like it was a fantastic time!
10th February 2023

High on my bucket list.
I would highly recommend going for the festival. It gives you plenty to do in the evenings after hiking and exploring all day.
10th February 2023

Were all the trees cut down...
to move the Moai? What a wonderful visit! My nephew and his wife went there in 2017. Not sure where it falls on my go to list.
11th February 2023

We’re all the trees cut down
Some questions can never be answered fully. They believe a good number of them were cut down during times of fraught as they needed the water they could extract from them. Some believe they were cut down to help roll the statues in place.
10th February 2023

What a wonderful trip you had!
The first sentence - I am jealous but happy for you. It's a dream trip one can only dream....you made it. So far away and isolated from mainland I can imagine the challenges of buying anything there. And I can see relationship with Chile is somewhat frosty, if that is the right word. Let me see if I can make it May. Will you be traveling other parts of Chile?
10th February 2023

What a wonderful trip you had!
Dreams do come true. I hope you can get there in May! We are heading to wine country, Valparaiso and the Atacama Desert on this trip before heading to Ecuador.
10th February 2023

Your Dream Visit
Loved the Azure Waters photo! Did you get close enough to the Navel to see if your iPhone compass was “confused”? The slow approach sounds wonderful. Thanks for the great blog 😊
10th February 2023

Your Dream Visit
The Navel is protected by a barrier so people don't mess with it. We are having a great time.
10th February 2023

Fascinating
Wow! What an amazing place. My childhood travel dream was to visit Angkor Wat which we did a few years ago. Rapa Nui is definitely on the list now!!
10th February 2023

Fascinating
It is absolutely a fascinating place to explore. I'm glad you made it to Angkor Wat and hope this one won't be long in achieving. It is well worth the time.
10th February 2023
Chicken Coop

Easter Island
Fascinating ! What a great time you must have had. But I missed seeing photos of yourselves. MM
10th February 2023
Chicken Coop

Easter Island
Marsha, great hearing from you. Go back and look at some of the photos as we are there. There are 4 pages of photos. It is possible you didn't click on all the pages. Thanks for commenting.
10th February 2023

Amazing!
This was the most interesting and fascinating blog you have posted! I absolutely loved all the pictures and the informative history and culture info. Merry Jo's back story set the stage perfectly. Really makes me want to go!
10th February 2023

Amazing!
This is a fascinating island, people and history. We really enjoyed ourselves. The world provides such an education if we go to check it out. Thanks for the comments.
10th February 2023
Tuna ceviche!

Yes Please!
Wow, this is the dish that caught my eye. I enjoyed reading about the island, but you know how I feel about food. So looking forward to seeing you and hearing your stories in person.
10th February 2023
Tuna ceviche!

Yes Please!
You know we are all about understanding the culture through food. They have some very good chefs on this island. We look forward to seeing you in a few days and eating our way through Ecuador together.
10th February 2023

Childhood dream come true
It must habe been amazing to live a childhood dream. Thank you so much for taking us on a journey into culture and history of this very remote place, I can see that there is much, much more to explore than the famous Moai Statues.
10th February 2023

Childhood dream comes true
I hope you will add this to your travel list as it is a delightful experience. I would go during the festival to fully enjoy the people. It is remote and so much more than the Moai Statues.
13th February 2023

Enjoyed the article as well the photographs. Easter Island has been on my list for some time, but now I know I should plan my trip in February.
Glad to hear that damage from the fire was not extensive. Thanks
13th February 2023

Easter Island
Easter Island is lovely. I would absolutely go during the festival time as you'll have plenty to do in the evenings after exploring all day. This year Feb. 3 was opening ceremonies. The more interesting things started the 2nd day on. A lovely celebration. Thank you for reading and commenting.
16th February 2023

Fascinating Place
Wow, what a fascinating place to travel to! I didn't realize Rapa Nui had such a big population. And what an interesting history too. Your photos of the Moai are great!
20th February 2023

Fascinating Place
Rapa Nui was all we hope it would be. I hope you'll go during the festival. It is lovely. Thanks for commenting.
25th February 2023

Incredible!
Absolutely incredible! You have very much whetted my appetite for a visit Merry Jo and Dave! Six days sound perfect to really get to know the place, and it sounds like you did. This seems a really once-in-a-lifetime experience, which must indeed have been quite emotional for you since dreaming about it as a child. I can well imagine the tear or two upon your arrival. A beautiful place, well done for having made it there! ☺️
2nd March 2023

Incredible!
We stayed 6 nights due to flight availability. I would recommend 4 nights. You could hike and exploring during the day and go to the festival in the evening. I would definitely go during the festival.
1st March 2023
Sunrise Happiness Rapa Nui!

We are planning of going there ourselves
Rapa Nui is high up on our list of places we want to visit. There is a pretty good chance that we will go there already next year. Before we go I will probably reread "Aku-Aku: the Secret of Easter Island" in which Thor Heyerdahl writes about his visit to Rapa Nui in the 1950-ies and the research he did then. /Ake
2nd March 2023
Sunrise Happiness Rapa Nui!

We are planning on going there ourselves.
We really enjoyed it and hope you get there soon. Consider attending during the festival in February. It gave us things to do in the evening and provided an appreciation of their heritage. Hiking during the day will keep you busy.
1st March 2023

Beautiful
I think the National Geographic mags are responsible for many many travel dreams such as yours Merry. I know it definitely contributed to my travel desire too. The moai statues look so enigmatic and it's always a great idea to photograph iconic monuments at multiple times of the day, especially when you have the luxury of time. The food looks delicious and fresh :)
2nd March 2023

Beautiful
Time was indeed on our side. Those National Geographic magazines ignited something in many of us and I'm grateful. The food scene was very good.... and the things they can do with ceviche will make your taste buds dance!
1st March 2023

Great Pics
Great info and pics guys, as you Merry Jo this has been a place I have long dreamt about...was budgeting 4 nights/3 full days which sounds like it should be a solid visit, will ping you once things solidify if I have any questions...cheers!
2nd March 2023

Great pics
Thanks for following along and commenting. Reach out with any other questions. You will have a great time. 4 nights will give you time to see this magnificent island. Make sure you go back for sunrise at the Moai.
4th March 2023

Greetings from Ecuador
Thanks for commenting on my Thanksgiving post! I loved reading about Easter Island and learned so much! We seem to blog in much the same manner! I notice you are still in South America. Any plans to visit Ecuador this trip? WoW! Congrats on joining the Travelers Century Club. I'm only at 50 countries, and at this juncture, I'm quite happy to hold still in my little paradise of Baños de Agua Santa. That's not to say that I don't travel widely around Ecuador (my next blog about to be published recounts coastal and sierra adventures!). Let me know if you're ever headed my way...you seem like fascinating folks to meet and know!!
7th March 2023

Greetings from Ecuador
We have been in Ecuador the past three weeks and fly out tomorrow. I"m sorry we missed you. It would have been lovely to meet. If you get to the States look us up.
4th March 2023

The National Geographic dream!
I remember looking through those yellow magazines as a child and telling myself I would someday go see the Rapa Nui myself. Well done Binkleys! What an experience! Love the pictures and thank you for all the information. I hope I can get there some day!
7th March 2023

The National Geographic Dream
I hope you will go during the festival as it gives you something to do during the evening. Plenty of hikes to keep you busy in the daytime.
7th July 2023

Just amazing!
A destination I'd love to go someday. I didn't realize just how remote it was, until you pointed it out in your blog. It seems you had no problems with getting a flight? I heard that they prioritize Chileans first before foreigners.
7th July 2023

Just amazing!
I hope you add it to your travel list. It is one of the more remote places. Go during the festival. They seem to have plenty of flights. They are working their way back to pre-covid of two flights daily.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 20; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb