Deserts and Snowy volcanoes. San Pedro De Atacama


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Atacama
June 14th 2015
Published: June 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

San Pedro is cute little town in the heart of the Atacama Dessert, beautiful and warm by day but freezing cold at night due to it's altitude of 7,500 ft
We spent today hiking up to Pokara De Quitor. An old Inca ruin a few klms outside of San Pedro along a dusty road that followed the river. A zig zag path took us to a cross and a variety of ruins, from there we got the most amazing 360 degree views of the area, tall snow clad volcanoes surrounded by barran rocky desert and the little town of San Pedro nestling in the middle of it all.

Last night we found a wonderful little restaurant with a huge fire burning away, felt really cosy. As we stepped out into the cold night air we wondered how we would cope with the cold in our room back at the hostel. It had seemed cosy during the daytime but as dusk fell the temperature had plummeted and we'd been glad to go out and find a warm restaurant. However, to our delight, when we stepped inside the warmth met us. Turns out the owner had gone in and put a calor gas fire in there while we were out and it was toasty warm.
Not sure of our plans for tomorrow yet all the trips from here leave at the crack of dawn or return too late for us to get our bus to Arica so we'll just maybe hang around San Pedro itself.

16 / 06 /2015

We ended up having a late breakfast then walked to a swimming pool complex out of town that we'd read about. The whole complex turned out to be closed and probably had been for the last few years but the walk had been pleasant with views of snowy volcanoes getting closer as we walked.

After an early evening meal we found the bus station and by 8.30 we were on the overnight bus to Arica, back on the coast. From there we hoped to go to La Paz in Bolivia but would have to wait until we get there to see how the buses work out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.428s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.2245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb