Atacama Desert - Moon Valley


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Atacama
January 6th 2015
Published: January 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

DSCN0710DSCN0710DSCN0710

Claire in the long Check in line
Our first day in the Atacama Desert was great. Well, it started out a little stressful. We changed our pick up time to get us to the airport 30 minutes later so we would get there 1:30 beforehand. We even got there earlier as the traffic was great so we had about 1:45 until our flight. Once we walked in, we went thank God!!!!. Oh the line to the LAN desk was long. Can I say long! We got in it. On the way we saw a sign this was for baggage drop so Shelly peeled out to try to checkin at the kiosk. No go – first shot but the line was moving great so we didn’t worry until we got to the split point where they checked for boarding passes. Well, we didn’t have it so we had to go it the stupid line. Shelly took the information out while I waited in line with this #$@#%@ lady behind me that kept running into to me with her cart. Shelly pulled her magic and got the machine to finally work with our passports… and then talked the lady at the location where we split off into the stupid line into letting us back in line there. We didn’t want to get back into that long line.



All was well, we got checked in and thru security (and you can take water, computer, liquids…) domestically. Got on our Lan flight to Calama. It was a nice 2 hour flight. Shelly slept a bit, I read. Then about the time Shelly woke up, the tv was showing a “candid camera” type show. We didn’t have to listen but we were laughing so hard, especially the scene where they went to a grocery store (plastic bags in the produce section) and they melted both sides of them. Of course they had people that had good bags right beside these folks. We had tears coming out of our eyes we were laughing so hard.



We landed in Calama and the driver picked us up for a 1 hour 15 minute ride to San Pedro de Atacama. The scenery was beautiful. We checked in rested then our guide picked us up at 4:30 for a bike ride to the Moon Valley. It was hot again but not as hot as the other day and on this trip we had a van follow us. So all was well. The landscape was beautiful but boy I was still not up to speed and neither was Shelly (monster muscle lady). Turns out the elevation here is 2200 meters (6500+ feet) No bloody wonder it was harder.



Our guide knew some back trails and we saw amazing views and the sand dune I think was the best. Coming back into town was easier (mostly down hill and later in the day). We got back and showered (had to as there was sand EVERYWHERE) and then went for a nice dinner (so much cheaper than Brazil).


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DSCN0742DSCN0742
DSCN0742

Look at that sand dune behind us
DSCN0752DSCN0752
DSCN0752

We summited the highest point at the park
DSCN0756DSCN0756
DSCN0756

The path was narrow and the fall was steep
DSCN0762DSCN0762
DSCN0762

Shelly biking in


Tot: 0.663s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.3387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb