The Dust and Heat of the Atacama Desert


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Atacama
March 12th 2014
Published: March 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The ride from Antofagasta, north through the Atacama, which is one of the driest deserts in the world, where there has been no recorded rainfall, is a challenge for both riders and motos. One of the biggest challenges for the rider is Staying Awake!! The desert is not boring by any means, but couple the 525 kms and temperatures in the mid 30's C one has to pay attention.

We got away around 8.30 am and basically 'Fuel Hopped' as the Spyder only has a usable 200km range, but by then everyone was happy for the rest and more fluids.

We passed many old ruins from the Nitrate mining days that are just disintegrating in the harsh conditions. We stopped at Maria Elena, one of these old nitrate mining towns that is still inhabited.

After refuelling we went to the main Plaza, where there was some sort of protest under way, but we found a small 'Restaurant' where we had a great lunch in amongst the lime green and orange decor, Bob sorta blended in with his matching green T shirt.

As we entered the parking area of the restaurant, I went over a curb and ripped
The Green RestaurantThe Green RestaurantThe Green Restaurant

Bob blending in....
the side stand spring off, breaking the end completely off - What a stupid thing to do!! Lucky we have a centre stand, but I can't operate it from straddling the bike, so now every time we stop, Bones has to run around and make the action, some times she forgets....until I remind her !

Leaving Maria Elena, we crossed the road that will take us to San Pedro de Atacama in a few days time.

We reached the outskirts of Iquique and Humberstone - another old nitrate town that was abandoned in the '60s, and is now a World heritage site, but everyone had had enough for the day, so the decision to go directly to the hotel was unanimous. The long slow crawl, down to the city through the road works, was a bit frustrating, after the freedom that we had during the ride through the desert, but we all arrived together at this fabulous Hotel Gavina, right on the rocky shoreline of the Pacific and within walking distance to the down town Plaza.

After a great dinner at the hotel and good nights sleep, then a hearty breakfast, we all set off on our
Maria ElenaMaria ElenaMaria Elena

This is where I ripped off the side stand spring!!
separate ways for the day, with Bob heading off on his BMW to check out Humberstone, while Mary explored, D Duke and Christine going off walking and sight seeing. After tidying up some admin stuff Bones and I walked to the Plaza, had a good look around and a coffee before catching a cab to Zofri, the duty free market. I bought myself a new watch (as I do each time) for 8000 Pesos (NZ$17) had lunch, then we ran into both Bob and Mary and D Duke and Christine (small world hah!) we got a cab back to the hotel before it got too hot for us out there. We have a great view from our room and the waves are crashing on rocks 7 stories below us.

Tomorrow we will follow the coast South to Tocopilla, then inland to San Pedro de Atacama, where Gerardo will rejoin us. hasta pronto, Rosco


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

D Duke and the Desert...D Duke and the Desert...
D Duke and the Desert...

I feel a TV series coming on!!
A regroup in the desertA regroup in the desert
A regroup in the desert

We all had to negotiate some pretty rough road conditions, we were waiting for Bob and Mary.
View from our RoomView from our Room
View from our Room

Hotel Gavina.
Sun set over the Swimming poolSun set over the Swimming pool
Sun set over the Swimming pool

The tide comes in and flushes out the pool twice a day, how cool is that!!


13th March 2014

keep it up! !
Keep up the good news and photos. Love the desert scenes. Keith

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb