On my way to Villarica


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Villarrica
October 20th 2005
Published: October 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

let sleeping dogs lielet sleeping dogs lielet sleeping dogs lie

Santiago´s streets are overflowing with stray dogs of all breeds. Warning: they will bite!
Hola! Yes I actually got on the plane and made it to Santiago. Santiago is not for the faint-hearted, and I probably wouldn´t recommend it as a first stop for the amateur traveller. It´s noisy, polluted and ful of both conmen and stray dogs (the dogs are slightly less dangerous). There´s really only so much you can do in Santiago - I was there for four days, and that was enough. Sites visited: (i)Cerro Santa Lucia - a big hill in the centre of town with a rabbit warren of narrow paths and even narrower flights of slippery stone stairs. There are a few good photo opportunities; on a clear day (not often) you can actually see the Andes mountian range, complete with snow year-round. (ii) Mercado Central, or town market - is extremely busy, but the best chance to see how the locals live and eat (try the conger eel, it´s oily but very filling). (iii) Prque Metropolitano - home of Santiago´s zoo and Botanic Gardens. The Botanic Gardens are a little different to what you get in Australia, a lot less of the sweeping lawns and a lot more lizards (which are bright green, blue and yellow -very striking).
Pittosporum tobiraPittosporum tobiraPittosporum tobira

beautifully scented shrub used widely as a hedging plant or trained as a small tree. In full flower in October

Started learning up on all of Chile´s native trees, including many Nothofagus species, Caesalpinia, Embothrium and so on. NOTE- Santiago also contains heaps of Eucalypts, Wattles and She Oaks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cerro Santa LuciaCerro Santa Lucia
Cerro Santa Lucia

Cerro Santa Lucia is great for people looking to get fit in a hurry - the paths are nearly vertical. This is a section of the castle on the hill
someone importantsomeone important
someone important

I have no idea who this is, only that he´s on Cerro Santa Lucia
stairway to heavenstairway to heaven
stairway to heaven

Actually it´s just a stairway from the indigenous artisan market to the base of Cerro Santa Lucia. Very Spanish!
can you see the mountains?can you see the mountains?
can you see the mountains?

This is Santiago on a clear day. The vague white line is the snowline of the nearbay Andes


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb