Stop 11: San Pedro de Atacama


Advertisement
Published: October 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After braving the 23 hour journey to get here, which actually wasn´t as bad as it sounds, if we erase the memory of the food, we arrived in San Pedro to beautiful sunshine. We immediately found our hostel, dropped off our belongings and changed into our shorts feeling very happy to have finally found some heat! Sadly this didn´t last long, once the sun had gone it was freezing! So cold in fact that the social scene here at this time of year revolves around finding somewhere with a courtyard and a fire, for which of course you have to buy a drink! As you can tell from our photos we found this just a little bit exciting, and we´re sure the locals thought we were lunatics!

Anyway... San Pedro itself is tiny and set in the middle of the atacama desert it looks like something out of a spaghetti western. None of the buildings have a second floor and there are no paved roads or pavements. We got here feeling that we had finally arrived in South America. All our other stops since Brazil have been fantastic but all felt very European, this however is very different. We have spent our time here enjoying the town´s unique setting and trying to acclimatise to being at altitude. At 2400 metres above sea level it´s nothing like the 5000 metres we will encounter on the next leg of our journey (The Bolivian Salt flats), but it´s a start!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

It´s Warm!It´s Warm!
It´s Warm!

Ellie warming herself by the fire


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb