Trip To Chile


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This blog entry covers the first half of our trip from Bariloche, Argentina north to Iquique, Chile. We crossed into Chile from Villa La Angostura and then stopped at a river near Puyehue. There we dug out pools in a streambed which filled with natural hot spring water bubbling up from below . We relaxed in the hot springs till the stars came out and then drove on for another hour to Orsorno, where we spent the night. The next day, we drove to La Serena where we stayed in a great hostel and made friends with some of the other travelers from France, Australia, and New Zealand. La Serena is a really nice town but we decided to push on since the town was covered by a cool fog and we were hoping to find sunny beaches further north.
Bahia Inglesa was our next stop. It's a small fishing village where we camped on the beach outside of town.
From Bahia Inglesa, we made the four hour drive north to Pan De Azucar Parque. We really enjoyed this beautiful expanse of beach where we camped for two days. Since very few people come there in the late fall, we had
David Robert Marta and Sam David Robert Marta and Sam David Robert Marta and Sam

Picture Before We Hit The Road
miles of desert and beach to ourselves. At night the sea lions made strange human-sounding noises from the ocean just below our camp among the rocks. At Pan De Azucar, the water was warm enough to go swimming. After two relaxing days of reading, swimming, and taking small hikes days, we headed north for the eight hour drive to Iquique. Iquique is a very nice town and the weather was perfect so we decided against heading 3 hours north to Arica, which is on the Peru-Chile border. We spent four days and nights at a great hostel that was less than a block from the beach. We ate some great mariscos empanadas, Sam did some surfing, and we all tried boogy boarding.
From Iquique, it was onward to the Atacama desert.

(click on the individual photo to see an enlarged picture)



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Tocopilla, Chile Tocopilla, Chile
Tocopilla, Chile

On The Coastal Highway to Iquique
Beach At IquiqueBeach At Iquique
Beach At Iquique

View From Our Hostal


9th June 2010

wonderful!
What a beautiful series! Lovely sunrises and sunsets. Tell Sam I am impressed with his "perfect cooking rock' and his sculpture. I wish those lovely shells could come home with him I hope he took some photos so I can at least print that out.
9th June 2010

pelicans
It is wonderful to see pictures of pelicans that aren't coated in oil.
9th June 2010

Awesome!
Rich, nice work putting the photos together. It gives a great sense of the Chilean coast. Looks like an amazing trip. Can't wait to see the second half. Would love to see some pictures of the people too. Andy
9th June 2010

Beautiful photos! Sounds like you got a lot of miles under your belt this trip.

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb