The long and winding road


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Aisén » Villa O'Higgins
February 3rd 2010
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The long and winding road, as the song goes, We have put three days worth of driving together in this report, with lots of photos to give you all a taste.


The further we go South towards the tip of Chile the more deserted it becomes, no petrol stations, no people, just stunning views the occasional logging truck, car and animal in the road. There is no protection if you come of f the road and little chance being found, mobiles are a waste of time.

When you hit a community it is usually 100 miles apart and is made up of 5 or 6 sheds. Weather turned cold, sunny, wet all in 5 mins and mountains have overnight snow.


Car leaves a huge dust trail and it is impossible to follow another vehicle close you just fall back half a mile unless your name is Miller! Convinced the boy wants to take up car rallying. Having said that I lost control of the car yesterday in the wet and I thought we were goners. Road edges are terrifying you just look down very steep sided dropping away into gorges.

Concentration levels on the road are truly exhausting but the wildness and beauty just appears on each new corner and drives you on.

Internet just has not arrived down here so not sure when this filed update will reach you all, really fell like we are explorers.

Post note... Because internet does not work well down here in Southern Chile I am having a nightmare uploading pics and captions just keeps crashing so only half has come through and expect only half captioned I will re do when I am on a good connection. So just imagion you are with us a keep double clicking on pictures to get the best.

Adios to you all from deep in Southern Chile


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th February 2010

Chile
Dear Ant Just hoping you have survived the Carretera! We are thoroughly enjoying your narrative and photographs and feel we are there with you. What a tremendous experience. Spoke with Daphne yesterday. She is following your blog religiously. We are not having the weather we expected but then it seems to be crazy everywhere. Looking forward to the next episode. Lots of Love
10th February 2010

Great you are both enjoying what has been a trip of a lifetime. Just filed another report with one more to do. Love Antx

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0793s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb