Cruise Day 4 - Puerto Chacabuco


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Aisén » Puerto Chacabuco
March 9th 2016
Published: March 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Overnight we sailed 283 nautical miles at a average speed of 18.3 knots and at 09:54 we arrived in Puerto Chacabuco where the weather was much more promising than it was yesterday. Bernie looked into using a private tour operator here, but had difficulty contacting them so decided it might be best to book the ship's excursion to Northern Patagonia and Coyhaique City.

We drove from Puerto Chacabuco through forested landscape to the Simpson River Reserve and a little further along the road to the Virgin Waterfall. After a brief stop at the waterfall we continued on to Coyhaique City. While the first mountain and valley were quite lush and forested as we continued inland the landscape became much drier and harsher. Coyhaique is the capital of the Aisén region and actually sits high in the Andes quite close to the Argentinian border.

While we were strolling around Coyhaique - another Chilean City with an overrepresentation of outdoor gear shops - Bernie decided that his runny nose was due to a head cold, not hay fever, AFTER he shared a bottle of water with me! Gee, thanks for that.

Lunch was not included in today's excursion, but we stopped for a snack on the way back to the boat. The snack proved to be quite substantial so more than enough to keep us going until dinner time. The tables were positively groaning under an amazing selection of finger foods, juices, wine and the ubiquitous pisco sours.

As we drove back towards the port my stomach started to feel a bit gurgly. We barely made it back on board when I was struck with another bout of TD ... and yet I am being so careful. Our daily 'On Location' information sheet says one of the best ways to protect yourself and others is to wash your hands thoroughly and often. I've been washing my hands frequently and then augmenting that with Purell hand sanitiser just about every time that I go past a hand sanitising station so it's really not fair that I am struck down with the squirts!!

This evening we set sail at 18:18 and won't be in port again until Saturday!



Steps 10,023 (7.56km)


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0793s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb