A Lot of Water


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
March 9th 2016
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -25.5469, -54.5882

Rain, puddles, rivers, waterfalls. Its been a wet day to say the least. We woke at around 4am to the sound of a tropical lightning storm rolling into Iguazu. The downpour has been relentless since then, not letting up for a second. Im not talking a drizzle or showers either. Torrential rain. The kind that has you soaked through in 5.6 seconds. Probably the heaviest most relentless rain Ive ever seen in my life. Good thing all our plans and activities for the day are outdoors! The days plan was to see the Brazillian side of Iguazu falls and the Parque das Aves, or Bird Park.

First up, the bird park. My only waterproof coat, was only jacket length and built for warmth. Not ideal for a complete downpour in 29degree heat and near 100% humidity. Instead I gave into a local merchant perched tactically at the bird park entrance. His enticing selection of full length plastic garments (raincoats) proved irresistable for a mere 10 BRL.With Nat borrowing the umbrella from our guide and camera, and me carrying the backpack, clad in plastic, we ventured inside.It was a stunning park really. Including around 900 birds from 150 species. The rain didnt seem to bother the majority of them, in fact it seemed to encourage them to be active and loudly voice their opinions on the situation. A few took a quieter, more sombre approach, hiding out under shelter. No such shelter for us though, soaked in no time. Not much in the way of photo opportunities either. Between the rain, cages, and darkness, photography wasnt easy or really practical. We still managed to see alot. I especially enjoyed a hopping, jumping display from a clever and friendly tuo toucan. Ive got a few shots, but theyre not great quality sadly.. The toucans were clear favourites, as well as the spectacular walk in mccaw aviary at the end filled with around 100 free range mccaws of several varieties.

After a couple hours our hiking boots were soaked through. We remet our guide and drove on towards Iguazu falls, the Brazillian side. With tickets in hand we were soon into the falls park. We spotted a wild toucan fly by and some small eagles and condors. 15 minutes later we arrived at the walk along the edge of the falls. Rain or no rain, we were still greeted by a group of energetic wild Coatis.. forraging about for food. The downpour added to the vast and powerful first views of the falls. Just so, much, water.. And not just at first viewing, and not just one waterfall, seemingly countless falls, side by side, some in layers, stretching along for what felt like miles. The downpour continued and restricted visibility somewhat as well as photo opportunities with zero cover. Most were taken with Nats water resistant mobile rather than my SLR. We got a few, but ultimately photos didnt do this place justice. The final viewing area at the "Devils throat was notably spectacular, thrilling, "refreshing" and memorable. A boardwalk out over the water surrounded by thunderous falls above and overlooking more falls below into the river. Rain and waterfall spray all around, it was an invigorating soak fest! A few more viewpoints followed, some getting you very close to the waterfalls, within metres. I was shocked to see tiny birds flying in and out of the falls. Apparently they find security and build nests behind the thundering sheets of water.

So then we found our guide and began the 40 minute drive back to town, arriving back a bit after lunch around 1.30. We were happy to shower and dry off, the temperature dropping to mid-low 20s. We walked to the next door cafe for cheese bites and fries for lunch and have subsequently retired to our hotel games room and bar to chill with drinks, fussball and pool. Weve still made the best of the day despite obviously unfavorable weather conditions. Again, id planned to take Natalie on a helicopter ride over the falls to no avail.. shades of proposal tragedies in New Zealand all over again.. I just think Natalie isnt meant to go on a helicopter!Tomorrow, were up a bit earlier to cross the border and view the falls from the Argetina side. A boat ride and jungle tour is also possible, weather permitting. The forecast looks slightly better for tomorrow, maybe so we'll see how we go. My mouth has continued to improve so I think a juice based cocktail is in order for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



13th March 2016

LOOKS LIKE MORE WATER ABOVE THE FALLS THAN IN THEM

Tot: 0.39s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb