Brazillian beauties,how I'm going to miss em


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
February 18th 2012
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -22.9035, -43.2096

Saturday 11/02/12 At sea 29c bright and overcast.

We've just heard that the strikes and problems reported at Salvador have now escalated and have spread to Rio di Janeiro, the ships devastated to say the least, the loss of Salvador as a stop wasn't really a problem but the loss of Rio would be something else.

As we've now got three days at sea with little of interest to write about I'll take the opportunity to tell you about Chris & Sue one of the other couples on our dining table. Chris is a retired mining Engineer and Sue a retired teacher both of them took early retirement, and have cruised extensively over the last 6 years.

I don't think I've ever met a tighter couple, they freely announce that they don't spend any money; apparently after their last cruise they made complaints and ended up getting a £800 credit added to their onboard account for this cruise. They then made further complaints about not getting preferential treatment when they originally booked the cruise and this resulted in them getting a cabin upgrade. However all is not what it seems as their upgraded cabin is at the front of the ship, an area which like the stern I avoid like the plague because when the ship is pitching the up and down the forces are worst at these locations. The best location for stability is as close to the centre of the ship as possible this means you're less susceptible to both the pitching and rolling motion of the ship. Anyway in addition to the excessive movement when we have high seas they're constantly complaining about being disturbed by the dropping of the anchor when we arrive at a port in a morning, as their cabin is just below and slightly behind where the anchor drops so they have to put up with the noise of the chain rattling through the hole as the anchor drops. I've since discovered that as these few cabins are rarely booked they're often used to upgrade passengers, so be warned if your ever offered an upgrade check the location before committing yourself!

At the end of each leg you receive your statement for purchases made on board. Uniquely with P&O if you've pre booked excursions either online before the commencement of the cruise or on board before the end of the first leg, all of the excursions are included in your first leg statement and automatically deducted from your pre authorised credit card, even if you've booked excursions for the last leg some weeks in the future.

One evening having received our first statement we were discussing the policy of deducting for future services and were all amazed when Chris revealed he hadn't received a statement as he hadn't purchased anything, not a thing, not even a drink! We were all amazed. It's going to make life a little difficult as some evenings when most of us go to watch the entertainment together, (Chris & Sue being noticeable absent) and inevitably at some point somebody will get a round in and of course previously we've all taken it in turns as you do.

Unfortunately on the last occasion Chris and Sue joined us; Chas was in the seat and got the round in and asked them if they wanted anything to which Sue placed her order, and over the course of the evening they never reciprocated, not a problem as a one off but nobody's going to provide free drinks for them at infinitum, which then leaves the awkward situation of taking orders but excluding Chris and Sue, not pleasant.

Sunday 12/02/12 At sea 28c bright and sunny

The last of the couples on our dining table are Chas & Debs they're a lovely who are great fun, this is only their second cruise, the first having been a P&O world cruise a couple of years ago. Chas has/had his own company designing and building sectional buildings with clients including HM government, and Deb worked in Social Services for their local authority. They live in the UK but also have a house in Spain on the Costa Brava.

I suspect they haven't travelled very much other than on their previous cruise, which of course is often the case when you have a second home or timeshare, you tend not to travel but end up being restricted to going to the holiday home as it's there and if you don't it's then underutilised and unless let out becomes a white elephant. Unfortunately Deb lacks the adventurous spirit, she's happy to go on organised tours or share a taxi with someone else but very reluctant to go out on their own. She loves to shop or go to the beach but that's about it.

Monday 13/02/12 At sea 29c bright with a few clouds.

Tuesday 14/02/12 Buzios 30c Sunny with clear blue skies

Still no international news on the situation in Rio as far as we've been informed all's OK and we're berthing as normal.

This is a tender port and even from the ship it look idyllic. Apparently this is where Bridget Bardot used to come to escape the high life.

Just as we arrived another cruise ship the AIDA Cara arrived and also dropped anchor, unfortunately for us that means a massive influx of passengers on to what is in fact a small town comprising of a few beachside stalls, a lot of waterfront restaurants, and a small shopping centre comprising a few artisans shops, a number of foreign exchange premises / booths, and most of the essential shops you need for daily life as well as course more eateries, inc Mc Donalds and Subway!. We didn't find a bank but discovered an ATM in the middle of the square. One of the things we were told before we arrived is that nothing is open until 10:00 at the earliest, which was surprising given there were two ships about to disgorge something like 2000+ money laden passengers on to this small community.

The process for getting money out of an ATM over here is strange, you insert your card, all the instructions come up in Portuguese with a small notice telling you to remove your card, strange. I assumed I'd put it in the wrong way round so reversed, it only to be confronted with the same screen, so turned the card upside down, I knew it wouldn't be this way round but you just have to try don't you. Eventually I discovered that you insert your card, remove it, select your transaction type, reinsert your card select your account type i.e. savings, checking, or credit. THEN you get the option for languages, I know how ridiculous is that? Anyway the process is normal after that select your amount and it then displays the current conversion rate in $US, hit confirm and you're away, hooray!

We walked along the promenade and came across a bronze statue of Bridget Bardot sitting on her suitcase looking out to sea, which is obviously well worn as people sit on her lap and pose for photos etc. A little bit further on is another statue of President Juscelino Kubitschek De Oliveira.


Further along the prom we
BuziosBuziosBuzios

Fisherman statue
came across Bridget Bardot's former house overlooking the bay which has now been converted to a restaurant. Further on we came to a pier where the local fishing boats were tied up, and looking into the crystal clear waters all along the were turtles, and all sorts of unknown fishes, some eel like fishes approx. 12-18 inches grey with vivid blue spots all over its body were attached to the backs of most of the turtles, who would swim just under the fishing boats and surface without their passengers, presumably scraping the fishes off as they pass under the boats keel, very clever.

After a very pleasant day we made our way back to the ship, this isn't a place I'd go to for a holiday but if I was anywhere near I certainly pop over for a 2-3 day stay so relaxed and visually superb. Tomorrow Cathy leaves the ship and is having the day in Rio before fly out in the morning to see the Iguassu falls, staying overnight there before returning to Rio and then flying back to the UK the following day, we all said our goodbyes wondering just how she'll get on in life.
BuziosBuziosBuzios

Fisherman statue


Wednesday 15/02/12 Rio De Janeiro 33c Sunny with little cloud

Up at 05:00 because this is a full day, starting at 06:00 with the sail into this most famous of Sth American cities, over looked by the famous Sugar Loaf Mountain and Christ the Redeemer at Corcovado. Apparently this is classed as one of the five most iconic ports in the world to sail into the others being Sydney, San Francisco, Honk Kong, and New York, other than New York we've been lucky enough to have done them all.

I couldn't believe my eyes when in the cruise terminal building I spotted Cathy wearing a black pac a mac raincoat! It was 29c and only 08:30 in the morning with not a cloud in sight, words fail me.

After an early breakfast we set off on a full day coach excursion with the first stop at the cog railway up Corcovado to see the statue. Although we arrive around 0-9:00 the crowds were backing up already and after obtaining our tickets we were informed that we were booked on the 10:00 tram! Eventually we climbed aboard the tram and made the twenty minute journey up the mountain to the end of the line, where you have the option of either climbing the 200 steps to the escalator or taking the lift. After two flights of escalator you finally arrive at the base of the Statue and what an awesome panoramic sight awaits you, we were so lucky to have clear blue skies with few clouds as our guide told us that yesterday it was raining most of the day and tomorrow it's forecasted to be cloudy with the possibility of more rain.


Walking around the base of the statue wasn't easy as there's a throng of tourists all clambering for the same photo opportunities, what makes it more difficult is the number of people laying flat on their backs on the floor taking pictures looking directly up at the statue. It got so bad that the security guards had to tell them to get up to prevent any possibility of accidents.

By the time we'd all been up and got back down to the terminus it was time for a BBQ dinner, so after a brief tour around some of the inner city we arrive at the designated hotel / restaurant, we'd been told that you helped yourselves to as much entrées as you liked and the waiters would then bring the meats, which would be a selection of beef cuts inc. Steaks, sirloin joints, and fillet mignon, sausage, pork, chicken and lamb, something for everyone there I thought.

Whilst finishing my entrées I noticed the waiters appearing with two foot long skewers with the spit roasted meat. In no time the waiter appeared told us which cut of meat it was and placed a small oval dish on the table, upended the skewer vertically with the point in the dish from whence he proceed to carve the meat down the length of the skewer. I thought (as did everyone else) that we selected the meat we wanted and it would just be served to us so I had a couple of generous cuts of Sirloin and started to tuck in. It soon became apparent that you had as much as you wanted from EVERY available meat, so as the waiters all made their way around I had a cut of each but much smaller amounts. The meal was fantastic everyone was comment on how good it was both in terms of quantity and quality and then from the end of the table we heard a voice complaining to the waiter they hadn't had any lamb. I must confess I hadn't realised but yes we hadn't been served any lamb, the whole table was stunned when the couple insisted on having their lamb, unbelievable. Here was a couple of OAPs who probably only have one cooked meal a day stuffing themselves stupid, it was nothing more that gluttony, good grief in 5 hours we'd be sitting down to another 5 course evening dinner.

During the trip to both Ipanema & Copacabana beaches the guide told us that up until two days ago there'd been rioting in the streets but things were now quite again! All along the route and around the city you could see the preparations and seating being put up for Saturdays famous carnival. Our guide was telling us about the preparation that goes on in planning this event and then told us that there's in fact a perimeter cordon through which you must have a pass to get through and once in your there for the 36 or so hours that the event runs, as we traversed the city we began to see the numerous turnstiles being installed. Obviously there are all the facilities that you'd need during the event but I never dreamed for one minute that you're essentially locked in

There were some stunning sights on the beaches, no not the girls but God knows they're absolutely beautiful I meant the sand sculptures, I've seen some good ones but these were really works of art unfortunately though we didn't have time to stop and see them close up so the photos were taken from the bus window, but hopefully when I can upload them they'll be of reasonable quality. If not you'll have to do what I did and use your imagination, oh yes..


Eventually we made our way to Sugar Loaf Mountain for the two cable rides up to the summit, where a beautiful panoramic view of the city and beaches was laid before us, although in the distance there was now a distinct heat haze. All in all the queues here weren't too bad with only a 5-10 minute wait at each cable car depending on how lucky or otherwise you were.


As we waited for our coach to return there on the steps, yes you've guessed it, was Cathy still wearing that bloody raincoat, the temperature during the day reached 33c with a blinding hot sun and there she is wearing a nylon raincoat. I must confess like so many previous days I was lathered in sweat and looking forward to getting in the air conditioned coach before having a cooling shower in the cabin. I daren't think how Cathy must have been fairing; mad dogs and Englishmen came to mind.

By now it was 16:30 and time to make our way back to the ship, on the horizon it was getting darker and darker and I couldn't believe how fortunate we'd been.

Having finished dinner we went up to the forward sun deck to watch the sailaway at 21:00, a really memorable event with helicopters circling the ship with their powerful searchlights lighting up the ships in dock as well as us departing, the tugs sounding off their fog horns and the ship responding in kind. The captain's wife who's on board as are some of the other officers wives told us that although she's been here a number of times this was without doubt the best she's ever seen the sights, previous visits the statue was either shrouded in cloud or it was raining. As we sailed away to the sounds of Rio and the likes on the deck PA system, I suddenly realised that this was one of those days never to be forgotten, and to think we came so close to it never happening.

Thursday 16/02/12 At Sea 28c and overcast

Today's one of those landmark days that comes around only too frequently now, it's my birthday and my 60th at that. For the last couple of weeks now our dining companions have been winding me up about it, which was only made worse by the fact that I'd told them I didn't want a fuss, singing waiters, cakes etc. A couple of weeks ago we invited Chas and Debs for pre dinner aperitifs and they said they would do the same on my birthday but as it was deemed a special occasion they'd invite the rest of our companions as well, so it should be a nice touch.

We'd already booked a champagne breakfast for 08:00 and around 07:45 Linda heard a noise by the door so I was sent to look through the eye hole, who's there she shouts, I've no bloody idea I said all I can see is balloons, it's going to be one of them days I just know it. In the short time it had taken me to slip on some shorts and go to the door viewer Linda had decorated the mirror behind our bed with a couple of A4 birthday banners proclaiming my birthday, now I definitely know it's going to be one of those days.

The breakfast arrived on time and was fantastic, orange juice, a fruit platter, cold meat and cheese platter, yoghurts, bread rolls, Danish pastries, croissants, and muffins, plus of course a half bottle of Champagne, it really was a lovely breakfast and start to the day.

When we finally surfaced from the cabin at 10:30 as well as the door being festooned in balloons there were birthday cards from all our new friends as well as one from pass a port Perkins (our nickname for Captain Perkins) the rest of the morning was blur as I attended two lectures taking it up to 13:00. Still full from our hearty breakfast lunch was skipped so we sat out on deck reading until 16:00.

This evening at 18:00 we had all already been invited to a Gala Party for gold members hosted by mon Kapitan Perkins so it was agreed we'd all meet at Chas & Debs at 17:00 for drinks, their cabin is just down the corridor from our and when we got there they had put balloons all over their door as well. Marie-Ann presented me with a present of a wicker plate decorated with nutmegs held in place spelling 60 which she had bought from Recife, along with a mystery present which turned out to be a fish knife she had obtained from the maître de. This is a long standing joke on the table as for some inexplicable reason and much to my annoyance the waiters never set out a fish knife when we're having a fish dish; I always have to ask so Marie-Ann obtained a personal one just for me I was in hysterics. Chris and Sue much to everyone's amazement had also bought me a present, a 500ml bottle of Cachaca and a couple of sachets of brown sugar from the restaurant, this when mixed with crushed limes and ice makes xxxxx the Brazilian national drink which I'm rather fond of. Deb then chirped up we haven't forgotten you but your present isn't arriving until 17:30, flipping heck I said where did you find a stripper gram on this boat? And then suddenly added please don't tell me it's a grannygram.

After a few drinks and promptly at 17:30 there's a knock on the door "go on open it Debs says" and there in the doorway was Emily one of the ships photographers, they'd only arranged for her to come and do a mini photo shoot of Linda and myself as a permanent reminder of the occasion and agreed to pay for the photo of our choice, what a brilliant idea we were really overcome with emotion or was it the drinks?

Down in the lounge it was free drinks at the Gala party so by the time we finally got to our dinner table we were loosened up. Unbeknown to us we now had a new dining companion, Claire whose son Jack it turned out is the ships second officer. Above the table were hanging the dreaded balloons so I knew I wasn't going to get away with anything, and resigned myself to my fate. Halfway through the meal Jack turned up to check on his mother and introduce himself to the table, he's 28 and after he'd left Claire told us the story of how he came to work for P&O.

Just as the waiters were going to serve dessert along pops up Michael the Purser & Andrew the admin and crew manger to wish me a happy birthday, well if you could see the faces of the surrounding diners, they all wondering how we managed to get a table visit from three of the ships senior managers. I should explain I'd had discussions with both these officers previously so we knew each other; I'll leave it at that.

Straight after desserts the waiters produced a 60th birthday cake and all the head waiters sang happy birthday, not my thing at all but there was nowhere to hide so I had to grin and bear it. I've forgotten to add that I'd mislaid Linda's compact camera whilst we were at Debs cabin but they said they'd find it and drop it off in the morning. It was whilst all these shenanigans were going off I suddenly realised there was Chas photographing everything on Linda's camera, another plot between them to give us a record
CopacabanaCopacabanaCopacabana

Sand sculptures
of the night, what a pair, I must say Linda was in on it of course but I was oblivious to everything, I blame the Linda and the drink.

I summoned the wine waiter who I'd previously spoken to and informed the table I was ordering everyone large liqueurs of their choice, whilst the order were being taken up pops my Mum & Dad (now I need to explain here they're not my real mum & dad and the story's too long to explain, other than to say they're a couple from Liverpool we met on the ship and hit it off with) they were on second sitting and had been waiting for an hour to pop over and wish me a happy birthday, what great people.


By the time we had finished our liqueurs and chocolates we suddenly realised all the waiters were hanging around and there were no diners in the restaurant, there was only 5 minutes before the second sitting came in, so abject apologies made we exited hurriedly. We all trundled down to watch the show which was a Jimmy James a Motown singer and after another couple of rounds of drinks we called it a
CopacabanaCopacabanaCopacabana

Sand sculptures
night, boy what a day, it's certainly a birthday to remember.


Friday 17/02/12 28c At sea overcast and misty

A quiet day with everyone recovering from yesterday, I don't know what's up with them they've just got no staying power.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

CopacabanaCopacabana
Copacabana

Sand sculptures


19th February 2012

Happy belated birthday you old codger, sounds like it was a fantastic day xxx
2nd March 2012

Happy belated Birthday babe, you kept that one quite. Keep up the good work with the stories :} lol. They make me chuckle .Love Carol XXXX

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb