Day 268 Brazil, Rio de Janerio, Escadaria Selarón steps and Maracaña.


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
August 12th 2015
Published: August 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi Friends, Family and Fellow Bloggers,



So our plan today was to head to Lapa to see the Escadaria Selarón steps, Municipal Theatre, History museum and general area.



We took the Metro to Cinlandia from Botafogo, and headed to the theater first, it’s an old building and the architecture is very nice, it was closed so we couldn’t go inside.



We then headed to the history museum, this was a 15 min walk, it looked good but we had very little cash on us and they wouldn’t take cards so we missed out, but we have been to a million museums now!!!



We walked back up into Lapa and after wondering around and walking the longest way round (my directions), we finally arrived at the Escadaria Selarón steps. They are really cool with so many tiles; you can get them made with your face on but think only locals can have theirs placed. Hope the photos do it justice.



We got the Metro back into Botafogo, and brought lunch on the way, we got an amazing salad of serrano ham, blue cheese, tomato, cucumber, lettuce and dressing with a baguette for only £3 each. It was delicious!!!



So we had arranged to go and watch Fluminense FC at home ground: Maracaña, we went in a big group of 8 from the hostel, we got the Metro to the Maracaña, which was very easy and cheap. The tickets cost 50 Reais to get in but our student cards saved us again and cost Vick and I 25R instead (£5)!!!



They only sell non-alcohol beer in the stadium!! Crazy I know but there are loads of people on bikes outside selling beers at 4-5 reais (£1) each, so we all had a few before we went into the stadium.



The game was awesome Fluminense won 3-2 so the crowds were happy, the stadium was half full but still had 40,000 people, atmosphere was unreal!! Made English supporters seem tame- there was singing and drums went on the whole game!!!



We got the Metro back, got a pizza for dinner and headed back to the hostel, we had a few more beers and chatted for a while before hitting the hay after a long day.



Tomorrow is our full day tour so need energy for it!!





Love N&V X


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb