We're on the road to hell


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
July 10th 2012
Published: July 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tues

Our ferry is at 12.30 so we have time in the morning to do a 2hr stroll to a waterfall and beach. Weather lovely and warm. We get back to mainland and hop on a local bus to take the 2hr journey to Paraty where we have 5 nights, before heading back to Rio for our last night. The journey is hell. We were aware that brazillian bus drivers were mad but this was ridiculous. Taking bends at 70 I was sure we were going to skid off the road and down the steep jungle embankments. We pass a sign that says"dangerous road 2011, 1,650 accidents and 60 fatalities"I've no doubt our driver caused 59 of them. Glad to get off alive and we find our best Pousada. Great room, balcony with hammock overlooking river and right next to the historical centre of Paraty. Pool, restaurant, sauna and games room with pool and card table ( Kevin now loves cards, especially the game "cheat")Paraty historic town has no cars and the roads and pavements are basically giant uneven boulders. Tricia stumbles around in her high heels.....I did warn her. After great steak and fish meals we conk out. Me and Kev decide to sleep together outside in the hammock. Surprisingly comfy and warm but I gave up when waking at 4am to find some bites on my face. How lovely. As it happens, I expected tons of bites on this trip but until now, it's Graeme whom the beasties like and he has the most bites everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It's a shame for him but keeps them off me. Tricia has quite a few but Kevin absolutely none!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb