São Paulo was intimidating but we didn't just survive it; we enjoyed it!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo » Santo André
June 5th 2014
Published: October 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We are ready for the WORLD CUP!!!!!We are ready for the WORLD CUP!!!!!We are ready for the WORLD CUP!!!!!

Edi, Camillo, Elis, Jeremy, Maman et Papa en juin 2014
Sao Paulo : (En Francais plus bas) After a month of cyling in Bahia, my Dad and I made it to Sao Paulo (Sampa !) where we met up with my Mom, and stayed with our good friends Sarah and Edi. They showed us the city, the huge urban sprawl,with its crazy traffic, and its crowded streets + the favelas, a local school and we celebrated Edi’s Mom’s birthday taking samba lessons ! This is what Brazil is all about !

Getting together again : After a very long bus ride fom Bahia (26 hours ?) we reached Santo Andre, in the south of Sao Paulo to meet my Mom, who traveled all the way from France to spend some World Cup time with us in BRAZIIIIIIL, and our good friend Sarah (from Canada) who now lives in Sampa (=Sao Paulo). In 1998 Sarah and I were both Rotary exchange students. While i was studying in Washington State, USA, Sarah was spending a year in my hometown in France, living with my parents for a few months. After college Sarah worked for an NGO in Brazil, and ended up getting married, and moving to Sao Paulo. I love how we
BIIIIIIG city!BIIIIIIG city!BIIIIIIG city!

Sao Paulo, June 2014
have such intricate connections here and there around the world ! We met her husband, Edi Edinilson, a very charismatic and enthusiastic person who does a lot for the local community. Edi works in the recycling industry but he’s also starting in politics. Spending time with Edi and Sarah is extremely relaxing. They’re both so laid-back and positive about things, it felt good to just sit down and enjoy the moment with them .

Urban sprawl : Sampa is the 3rd largest metropolis in the world and it’s a pretty intimidating city. Intimidating because of how widely the city spreads around... We climbed to the top of a skyscraper in the city center and the view from atop was astonishing ! Skyscrapers and other tall buildings spreading as far as the eye can see. Driving around the city was quite an experience ! Somehow our GPS was set to avoid major highways... so we ended up driving through some sketchy neighborhoods. Sao Paulo is a real maze when you avoid the highways (...)the roads don’t usually take you inside the favelas, but they go right by the Brazilain slums and after everything we had read about safety issues in Sao Paulo (Edi and other locals don’t even stop at red lights at night for fear to be mugged) we were pretty tense in our rental car ! Eventually we made it to an expressway (express being the key word !) of 7 lanes on each side ! Cars were driving fast (compared to Bahia !) but the scariest was to get motorbikes cutting accross traffic, riding by at more than 100km/hour right between 2 cars. It was so stressful ! (I was navigating...well, trying... and my Mom was telling my Dad to be careful again and again... this didn’t help ! :-)

Santo Andre : Edi and Sarah live in Santo Andre, a town within the city of Sao Paulo. They enjoy living there because there is a sense of community in their neighborhood. It seems like everyone knows each other and they tend to organize events and gatherings (especially with the World Cup coming up). And they are only a 15-20 minute bus-ride from downtown Santo Andre. We went for a walk and it was pretty nice (crowded though). Every shop was decorated with the yellow and green colors of the Brazilian footbal team but many local people weren’t very excited about the all thing, as they felt the government had spent way too much money on stadiums and World Cup organization, rather than invest in more important fields such as education or health...

Visiting a primary school : Sarah took us to her daughter’s primary school, a few blocks away from their home. Sarah also teaches English there. With the World Cup drawing near each class was assigned a country to work on for a few days. So we visited the young class who was focusing on France. The kids were very small and some of them had just started going to school so they weren’t quite used to sitting on a chair for very long... But it went well and we taught them a few French words : « Bonjour ! ca va ? » I talked a little about food, sports and school in France, and Sarah was my interpreter. We played hangman with some French words and they asked us a few questions (« How tall is the Eiffel Tower ? Do you eat snails every day ? Can you juggle ?... ») Eventually we sang Frere Jacques... and they sang the Brazilian national anthem to us. It was fun ! They thought Brazil was going to win the World Cup... Sigh... Kids !! ;-) It was interesting to see the working conditions in this school. I thought they were quite good, with small classes, good facilities and okay resources. Kids were very cute and their teachers were all friendly and very welcoming. The only thing that shocked me was to see the children stick their mouthes directly on the tap to drink water. But I guess we used to do the same when we were kids. After all these years in China, I kind of forgot that drinking tap water is okay in many parts of the world... (is tap water really okay in Sao Paulo though?!)

Edi’s mom’s birthday : We were also invited to celebrate Edi’s mom’s 80th birthday at her house, on the edge of a favela. Edi has many brothers and sisters so we got to meet the entire family. We mixed languages in order to communicate (lots of Spanish, a bit of Portuguese and French... some English) and it was fun ! We particularly enjoyed the Brazilian Birthday song which went on longer than our
Sarah and Camillo in a restaurant Sarah and Camillo in a restaurant Sarah and Camillo in a restaurant

Camillo follows Sarah everywhere!
European version and sounded more dynamic than the French one. And then, I found out that one of the brothers was a dance teacher so I asked him to show us some Brazilian samba moves... and after some encouragement and furniture pushed to the side, the entire family started dancing ! When I think of Brazil, I think of football, carnaval, bikinis and... samba ! It was perfect ! We were getting our private samba lessons with friends ! OMG the way they move their feet, so quickly, and the hips and the smiles ! Fanastic memories ! Thank you Sarah, thank you Edi for this wonderful time in Sao Paulo !



Our friends helped us rent a car and we drove off to Foz de Iguacu to see the world famous waterfalls... (next blog !) We’d be back in Sao Paulo on June 12 for the opening match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup : Brazil-Croatia ! I had been waiting for that special day for 4 years ! WE ARE IN BRAZIL !!!!





Papa et moi sommes arrivés à Sao Paulo en bus (après 28 heures de voyage depuis Bahia!).
Champagne! Welcome to Sao Paulo!Champagne! Welcome to Sao Paulo!Champagne! Welcome to Sao Paulo!

Thank you for having us!
Nous avions prévu de prendre le métro jusqu’ à Santo André (dans le sud de la ville) afin de rejoindre maman et Sarah, mais les métros étaient en grève ce jour-là! Comme quoi cela n’arrive pas qu’en France ! Le chauffeur de bus, sympa (ils sont tous sympas ces Brésiliens!) nous a demandé de rester dans le bus et nous a emmenés à un petit terminal entre des immeubles… On nous a ensuite demandé de patienter (café + gâteau!) et un bus pratiquement vide nous a emmenés à destination… Il faut être patient au Brésil, mais leur système fonctionne.

Evidemment ce fut un grand plaisir de retrouver maman (on ne s’était croisé que 2 jours à Paris juste avant le début de notre aventure à vélo à Bahia) et pour moi c’était la première fois que je rencontrais Sarah, la “grande” canadienne qui avait vécu avec mes parents quand j’étais en échange aux Etats Unis en 1998. Sarah a travaillé dans l’humanitaire au Brésil et elle y a trouvé un mari, Edi Edinilson, qui habite à Sao Paulo. Edi et Sarah ont 2 enfants : Elis et Camillo (encore bébé). Selon mes parents, Sarah est restée fidèle à elle-même,
20 million people in Sampa (Sao Paulo)20 million people in Sampa (Sao Paulo)20 million people in Sampa (Sao Paulo)

3rd largest metropolis on earth
très cool, zen et souriante : une vraie brésilienne! Et Edi est d’origine aborigène. Il a les cheveux longs, tressés, un rire communicatif et un sourire à la Colgate! Edi travaille dans le recyclage à Santo André mais il se lance petit à petit en politique : tout un personnage! Ils nous ont accueillis avec chaleur et gentillesse et nous ont présenté leur quartier : des maisons et immeubles colorés le long de rues à fortes pentes, la prison (papa n’était pas dépaysé !), les restos du coin, et le centre ville de Santo André, une petite ville dans l’immensité de Sao Paulo.

Santo André est plutôt sympa (et calme) comme quartier. Nous nous sommes promenés dans les rues marchandes. Après toutes les critiques qu’on avait lues sur Sao Paulo et les innombrables problèmes de sécurité, nous étions plutôt inquiets, mais Santo André nous est apparu plutôt tranquille (en raison de la pluie?). Les mesures de sécurité sont quand même bien en place : beaucoup de fils barbelés sur le haut des murs des pavillons; les gens ne s’arrêtent pas aux feux de signalisation la nuit, et à la banque on rentre 1 par 1.

La circulation à
Favelas in Santo AndreFavelas in Santo AndreFavelas in Santo Andre

How many people live there?
Sao Paulo est complètement folle. Une fois la voiture louée (après quelques jours passés chez Sarah et Edi), nous nous sommes retrouvés sur des 2 fois 7 voies (!!!!) avec des motos qui se faufilaient au milieu des voitures à plus de 100km/heure! Notre GPS était apparemment réglé pour éviter les autoroutes et voies rapides… et du coup on a passé des heures à tourner, virer dans des quartiers peu éclairés de Sao Paulo… Et il a fallu être vigilant car il y avait des motos et des voitures dans tous les sens… Maman était crispée! Alors oui, il y a des favelas (bidonvilles) un peu partout autour de Sao Paulo. Ce sont des quartiers situés sur des terrains occupés illégalement. Ils sont donc situés la plupart du temps sur des petites collines raides, au dessus de tunnels, ou sur des marécages, là où les agences immobilières ne voulaient pas construire. Beaucoup de personnes pauvres mais ayant un travail (chauffeurs de taxi, femmes de ménage, ouvriers…) habitent dans ces favelas. Ce ne sont donc pas que des mafieux mais qui dit misère, dit manque d’infrastructures, violence, drogue, trafic d’armes… Les routes ne passent pas au coeur des favelas mais juste à proximité et j’avoue qu’on ne faisait pas les fiers en pleine nuit!

En plein centre ville, nous sommes montés en haut de l’Edificio Martinelli, un des premiers gratte-ciels de Sao Paulo, et avons pu savourer une vue éblouissante sur la jungle urbaine environnante. Je pense que les photos parlent d’elles-mêmes.

Sarah nous a également emmenés à l’école de sa fille où une petite classe de CP nous attendait pour nous poser des questions sur la France. Juste avant la Coupe du Monde, chaque classe de l’école avait été associée à un pays participant à la compétition, et l’enseignante s’était concentrée sur quelques aspects de la culture de ce pays. Nous sommes donc allés rendre visite aux jeunes élèves qui connaissaient Paris et la Tour Eiffel. Nous avons joué au Pendu ; on leur a appris à compter en Français et je leur ai parlé de la nourriture, des sports et de l’école en France (Sarah jouant l’interprète). Quand l’heure de nous poser des questions est arrivée, ils m’ont demandé si je pouvais jongler….… Finalement nous avons entonné la Marseillaise et les jeunes et la maîtresse nous ont, à leur tour, chanté leur hymne national. C’était sympa. Cela
Mom and her 3 kids!Mom and her 3 kids!Mom and her 3 kids!

Happy birthday! Feliz aniversário!
ne faisait que quelques semaines que ces petits avaient intégré l’école, et certains d’entre eux avaient encore du mal à rester concentrés ou même assis, mais nous avons passé un moment agréable, et on a pu se rendre compte que les conditions de travail des enseignants et des élèves étaient plutôt bonnes ! La seule chose qui m’a frappé a été de voir que les enfants buvaient la bouche collée au robinet, les uns après les autres… On faisait sûrement la même chose quand on était plus petits… En tout cas au moins eux ils peuvent boire l’eau du robinet comparés aux jeunes Chinois…

Nous avons également eu le privilège de fêter les 80 ans de la maman d’Edi. Nous nous sommes rendu chez elle (au bas d’une favela) et avons rencontré toute la famille! Je crois qu’Edi a 7 frères et soeurs + les petits enfants. Cela fait du monde pour chanter la version brésilienne de Joyeux Anniversaire (tellement plus vivante que nos versions européennes… Voir vidéo!) et puis l’occasion était trop belle : un des frères d’Edi est prof de danse alors je lui ai demandé de nous faire voir quelques pas de samba brésilienne… et en quelques instants, Edi, ses soeurs et les enfants ont suivi et nous avons pu admirer ce fameux rythme dans le sang qui nous fait tous rêver quand on pense au Brésil, au carnaval. La rapidité avec laquelle leurs pieds bougent, le déhanchement et puis les sourires… Que de merveilleux souvenirs chez nos amis brésiliens!!

Nous avons dit au revoir à Sarah et Edi pour quelques jours afin d’aller voir les prestigieuses chutes d’eau d’Iguacu (à plus de 1000km) à la frontière avec l’Argentine, mais nous nous sommes donnés rendez vous pour le 12 juin, pour le match d’ouverture de la Copa Do Mundo! Le jour que j’attendais depuis 4ans déjà…


Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

We are ready for the World Cup!We are ready for the World Cup!
We are ready for the World Cup!

Edi, Camillo, Elis, Jeremy, Maman et Papa Juin 2014!


14th October 2014

Contrasts
From peaceful, empty beaches to such a crazy city--your panoramas make me want to run away! Amazing that you drove in that traffic! I remember it took my bus way more than an hour to get through the massive traffic from the outskirts of Sampa with the favelas to the center. Good thing you had such wonderful friends to help you enjoy the city. I can hardly wait to see your photos from the fabulous falls.
14th October 2014

Thanks for your message! Sampa is a crazy city
but what matters is who you're with, not really where you are... I know, I live in Beijing!... If you know Foz de Iguacu, you're gonna be surprised by my pics! We witnessed a rare phenomenon... Talk soon!

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb