Lowlights of Santos & Highlights of Joinville


Advertisement
Published: January 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Santos is the largest port in S.America and has developed because of the exports of coffee, sugar cane and orange juice. The port is ugly as most ports are and the main town is full of tower blocks so not that pretty either. There are a few colonial buildings left between the sprawling high rises. It's best feature is the very long beach with greenery and trees along the waterfront, but surprisingly few bars and restaurants. Apparently the locals spend all day on the beach whenever they can. We went to the Botanical Gardens which contain a nice selection of all the trees from the rain forest. The orchidarium was very disappointing with very few in flower. Also saw a few cages with some wild life but not too exciting. The next "highlight" was the Football museum at the Santos stadium. The Brazilians are crazy about football but not being into football I was not too impressed. Finally we ended up at the coffee museum. The building is very nice. It was originally the Coffee Exchange but this later moved to Sau Paulo. Unfortunately all the exhibits are described in Portuguese so if you don't speak the language it does not take long to go through. We could have bought coffee beans at the end but didn't as we don't have a coffee grinder and are not that keen on coffee anyway. It was so hot and humid we were glad to get back to the ship for a nice lunch. The tenders are so slow and it is very hot inside. We wish they would put their foot down and get us from a to b as fast as possible. No one was really impressed with this stop over. The following day we anchored off Sao Francisco so Sul , which is a pretty town and it was the first time that Regent had gone there and they had had no cruise ships for 5 years. We were coached to the neighbouring town of Joinville where we saw the very pretty modern cathedral and also an eccentric art exhibition as well as the house of the local artist. At no time in Brazil have we felt in any type of danger and the people have all been very friendly.

We have met some lovely people on board and have earned a few points in the Trivia and Mensa quizzes. Even earned a few points at the "Guess That Tune" but that was on the back of people who knew a lot more than we did. It is way too hot and humid to sit on the top deck so we are in and out of the room and the balcony. We have spent most of the time over long lunches and dinners chatting with fellow guests. We did make one show which was the Four Seasons with excellent singing and music. Also went to the Seven Seas Society party for those who have travelled with Regent before. Excellent canapes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



26th January 2019

Four Seasons
As in: Franki Vallie or Vivaldi

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb