Not a thong in sight


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
December 11th 2005
Published: December 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Honestly...what´s the point of coming to Rio if you don´t see a single thong (Steve) or a bronzed adonis (Lou) strutting their stuff on Copacabana beach !!

So..it´s been London weather pretty much since we´ve been here (not even managed to get up to the big Jesus chappy)...There´s not a lot to do in Rio in the rain (and especially not if you are tired after weeks of sightseeing and wanna sit on the beach)...

Anyway...we´ve still enjoyed it. We did get a couple of hours on Ipanema beach, and we spent Lous birthday on a loooooonnnggg lunch and a few beers in the local English pub (how romantic).

We managed to get up to Santa Teressa neighbourhood which was quaint (see pictures of trams!) and had a look round the central district (yawn..another church).

However, the absolute highlight of the stay has been the trip to the Flavella. We were both a bit apprehensive, not for fear, but for not wanting to be seen as gawping tourists, looking at slummy areas. As it turned out, this trip was organised by someone who was also really trying to help the community. The majority of the money goes to the day care centre for under priviledged kids, and as such the people are happy to see you. They are taught that begging is not a way to get money...and litterally no one begged us...they all make little paintings and jewellery etc..for tourists to buy. But the most amazing thing was the sense of community, friendliness and pride in the place. They are really trying to move it into the 21st century. It was a fantastic and eye opening tour.

Anyway...thats all folks from South America. We have a flight in 5 hours and cant wait to be back home for some Xmas cheer.

Ciao Ciao

Steve and Lou


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The FlavellaThe Flavella
The Flavella

..this is a bit unfair..its not all like this
The flavella high streetThe flavella high street
The flavella high street

...it was like this for 3 miles
After ten weeks of eating..After ten weeks of eating..
After ten weeks of eating..

...just one wafer thin mint...


14th December 2005

Shame but you can return oh yes!
Damn shame about weather in Rio, but come back for Carnival in 2007. It's a blast. And thanks for all the blogs, lah lah lah lah, they've been great.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 84; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb