Christ the Redeemer


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I am not sure when I first saw the Christ the Redeemer statue on television or why it had such an impact on me, I suspect it is a side effect of watching too many Bond films and others in that genre. But whatever the cause, it has been a wish of mine ever since I was a child to visit this special venue, a wish that with my fear of heights and my fear of flying I never expected to come true. However today, I was lucky enough to see the statue and the spectacular views that surround it.

The landmark sits on the top of Corcovado Mountain, a mountain named after its curved shape, from the Portuguese for camel-back or hump. The mountain is found in Tijuca Forest National Park, a wonderful rainforest in the centre of the city. Travelling up through the huge trees, you can smell such fresh and delicious air which calms you but also builds up the anticipation of what you will see when you reach your destination. The route is shaded from the powerful sun on your ascent however when you step out into the air, you feel the intensity of the sun focused on you and the statue.

It is an emotional experience to look up into the eyes of the Christ from the base of the statue. You are standing 700m above the ground and you feel as if you are floating as you look up even further and see the stern yet soothing face. With so much space and air around you and only the statue above you in the perfectly clear blue sky, it is easy to tune out the noise from the other tourists and to focus entirely on what you are seeing and feeling. The statue itself has become an icon of Rio and Brazil in general, with an image as overused as this there was always the worry that the real thing would be a disappointment. But this was not the case. Christ the Redeemer lives up to every expectation that you have, it is a truly special place.

The statue is positioned so perfectly that it can be seen from almost every part of the city, which in turn means that almost every part of the city can be seen from the platform area at the base of the monument. The top of the head of the statue is almost 40 metres above the ground, although this height includes a 9m base for the figure to stand on. Inside of this base is housed a small chapel, the chapel of Nossa Senhora da Aparecida. Looking down, (a safe distance away from the barriers) you can see the beauty of Rio de Janeiro. The coast, the lagoon, the multicoloured houses of the favelas and the huge Tijuca forest all sit before your eyes. At first you feel as if you have yet to focus your vision properly as they appear beyond a haze, but as you continue to look on the landscape you realise that you are looking through waves of heat. The whole view is distorted ever so slightly, just as when you look through the outer edges of a flame on a candle. The misty appearance adds to the feeling of magic and mystery and helps you to retain the deep feeling of calm and inspiration for a while longer.

There are so many images from this journey that I hold dear and that I count myself lucky to have witnessed. This view and this feeling is among the most valued and precious, perhaps made more so as in arriving here I have proved many things to myself as well as receiving the reward of the experience.

Take care,

Tasha


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



29th May 2012

9 VIANNEY
Hey miss, Still so glad to hear that you are having fun, but we miss you huge amounts and cant wait for you to get back! We are wishes the days away waiting for you, glad you are safe and sound speak soon bye. =)

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb