Rio de Janeiro


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Honeymoon


Well we arrived in Rio feeling fresh, we had been lucky enough to score some business class seats, after we were told we had to sit apart for the flight as everyone else had booked in online, I suspected the check-in lady noticed Deb´s quivering lip, anyway after Deb mentioned that it was our honeymoon she said she would see what she could do. After a while Deb heard our names over the announcer and not much longer after that we were flat out horizontally enjoying the extra comforts. Flight was delayed but we didn´t mind as I tried most of the drinks in the lounge. Love that whisky.

Had to reschedule in Sao Paulo (travel agent in London was a div) and arrived in Rio to overcast skies, our first impressions in the taxi was a strange kind of feeling, a mix of colours as the concrete houses thrown together but straight away we knew they really love their football, kids out in the rain playing.

Stayed only a block from Posto 9 on Ipanema beach. Had our first try of the famous Brazilian cocktail the Caipirinha. Madewith Cachaca (sugar cane alcohol), lime, sugar and ice. We were very impressed, Deb soon claimed it as her drink for the trip. We were also surprised that the Brazilians know as much English as I know Portuguese (although I have a feelng that they know more than they´re letting on to)

We spent a day wandering the centro, at the markets and weather still a bit overcast. Tried some acai (an amazonian berry) and I have it everyday where I can. On the Friday we went to Lapa, an area where Samba rules and partied with an Irish couple and an American girl. Drank plent of Caipirinhas and cerveja (beer) and danced (attempted to dance the Samba). We were in a nightclub and Deb took a fall after missing a flight of steps so we got her home and cleaned up, but it was a really great night.

We visited a couple of Favelas including Rochina Brazils biggest, amazing to see the houses all built up over the mountain and how they all live together. We were told it was safe for us, but we had to be careful of what we were taking photos of, I also got to see a hummingbird for the first time which fascinated me, I could have watched it all day.

We took in a football game at the famous Macarana stadium, Botafogo v Fluiminese. As we were sitting with Botafogo they were our team. We were a little concerned when we got there and we saw a crowd running towards us and heard three large booms, tehe police were firing something although Im not too sure what it was. The crowd sang all game but it couldn´t spur the team in to a goal. Game finished 0-0. As far as quality goes they were OK on the ball but I think Fulham would have them (not sure about West Ham though).

We went up to Sugar Loaf for the views another day and took in the city leading up to sunset and after. An amazing view and I have to say even more than looking over Sydney. Another day we spent in a National Park and up to see the big fella himself Christ the Redemer on Corcovado again for tehe great views, the weather was getting good and we started to take it in, we went for a walk up to and along Copacabana beach and took in all the Cariocas at play on the beach, playing volleyball, soccer, running and showing off their rather large behinds in skimpy bikinis. We spent a day on the beach in Ipanema ans really enjpyed the winter sun, and I evengot a bit of body surfing in, but it wasn´t long before the call of some acai and caipirinha from the vendors along the beach that we lay back and enjoyed the beach. Being winter here the sun hasn´t been as strong but rather nice to lie in.

I have been trying different food where I can, I tried Feiojada (far too much food for one person), fruta do Conde and many of the different lanchonetes which are pastry type things and as we don´t know Portuguese its a lucky dip as to whats inside. We thought we were about to eat cheese once but turned out to be coconut.

So summed up a great time in Rio, was safer than we thought (not when we heard the rattle of gunshots from our room late one night) but we did our best not to attract too much attention. Even though we dead ringers for gringos. Will follow up again soon although Im a bit behind.


Advertisement



22nd July 2009

PS It was Flamengo I went and saw, not Botafogo!
23rd July 2009

good stuff
hey deanoand deb, sounds like your having an amazing time!and getting into the culture, trying the exotic foods but id pay to watch you attempting the samba old mate! good times, travel safe and i look forward to your next blog, arohanui friends, tane
29th July 2009

:)
Hey Guys, So glad your enjoying your extended honeymoon. I must say I am some what jealous, but will let it go lol. Cant wait to see you guys at Christmas, Luke tells me that you might take a short trip during your stay. Let me know your thoughts as I'm sure James, Anna, Me, Matt and Mum (not sure about Penny and Michelle) would love to tag along. Talk to you soon x x x x x

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb