Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 28.09.2011 -


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Lapa
September 28th 2011
Published: October 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

28.09.2011
Juhuuu, flying to Rio today!!! Just chilled all day really, Matt cooked some beautiful chicken curry for us in the hostel, backpacker style ;o) The hostel we stayed at was called Porto Salvador and we would highly recommend it to anyone going to Salvador..its 2 mins from the beach, with kitchen, games room and very friendly staff.
So we planned to catch a bus to the airport, but the bus never came (as they do in Brazil) so we jumped in a taxi. No problems checking inn, even dou we used someone elses CPF, so we probably will keep on doing that to book flights :o)
In Rio, we jumped into a taxi to drive to Ivanas house, our Couchsurf host in Lapa, the nightlife district of Rio.. Ivana and her girlfriend Bia were great, such lovely people. They gave us a warm welcome, and eventough their apartment is tiny,they still let us stay with them for 4 nights..
We got to Ivanas house around 12 at night and met up with Manu for a few drinks out in Lapa.. Lapa is a great little neighbourhood to go out, soo many bars and nightclubs.. People are partying everywhere, even in the middle of the Road!

29.09.2011
Toady, we decided to go and see Jesus.. Or Christo Redentor, how they call him here in Brazil. Since it is one of the 7 Wonders of the World, we had to go and see it. We jumped onto a bus to Cosmo Velho and took a cog-train to climb the 710 metres up to the top of Corcovado. The statue is massive and very impressive. And the view over Rio de Janeiro from up there is undescribable.. We spent a few hours just taking pictures and enjoying the view over the most beautiful City we have ever seen… It was the most perfect day to be up there, not a cloud in the sky. Afterwards we did a little trip to the Copacabana beach to go and see the rich and beautiful..I am not so sure about the rich, but we definitely didn’t see the beautiful! Lol.. Matt and I both expected that there would be a lot of good looking people in Rio, all we could see were ugly girls and gay guys with bronzed bodies and the tightes little speedos in the world..And they all were eying up Matt. I think there are by far more gay people in Rio than straight ones.
So we had a little stroll down Copacabana, which is absolutely beautiful. It’s a very active place, people running, playing footie or beachvolleyball everywhere.. We also discovered that beachvollyball seems to be a manly sport in Brazil, we only saw guys playing it, and they were good, really good.
On the way home we picked up a bottle of cheap Vodka and some mixer and back home we got absolutely wasted with Ivana..followed by Samba lessons in the kitchen.. lol Later on Bia and another friend of Ivanas came buy and we all headed out to a Club called Democratius. It’s a samba club in Lapa with a massive dancefloor.. we got absolutely shitfaced and danced samba all night.. well we tried! Big credit to Matt at this point, he was sambaing away like a professional all night, taking the ladies for a dance..  It was a great night with many many more beers and later on Matt and I had the best burger we ever had..from a little Kobi VW Van in the steet!

30.09.2011
Matts hangover day! Lol So while Matt was in
Once again out in a gayclubOnce again out in a gayclubOnce again out in a gayclub

99 percent boys in this place and they are all in love with matt lol
bed, feeling sorry for himself because he wasn’t feeling well (prob because of the incredible amount of alcohol he consumed the night before) I was running around making breakfast, doing some shopping, making sandwiches for later on, buying a dodgy phone of some guy in the street and making sure Matt had enough water and food brought to his bed.. lol.. big day today,we are going to ROCK IN RIO, a massive open air festival with 80’000 people, Lenny Kravitz and Shakira were playing and the whole city was going mental! We jumped on the bus around 3 o clock to be there early to meet up with Manu, Phil and Michael. 4.5 hours later we were still sitting on the same bus that should have taken 40minutes to get us there..The traffic was crazy, and by the time we finally got to our bus stop, all the sandwiches we made for the festival were eaten.. lol.. It took us nearly 6 hours to get from the city to the house were our friends were staying. (which is normally a 40min trip) Oh well, we finally made it, rushed out because Michaels favourite singer, Yvette Sangallo was going to play shortly. Matt, Phil and me didn’t have a ticket yet, so our plan was to buy one outside the festival. Well, easier said than done with no Portuguese knowledge.. Michael tried to get us a ticket, but people were trying to ripp us off hardcore and when his singer came on, he had to leave us in our misery.. lol. Well we went on a mission to the other entrance, tried to haggle with a few dodgy ticket sellers and finally found Dadou (after over an hour of trying) Now Dadou was very nice, sold us the tickets to an ok price and at the same time fell head over heels in love with Matt.. Lol. He was a very nice, pretty boy with a massive Peter Pan Tattoo on his back and 14 Stars, because at the age of 14, he apparently discovered himself..To the question, do you also have tinkerbell somewhere as a tattoo, he said, no, but I have her magic stick, do u wana see? Lol He tried many many times to steel some kisses of Matt, but Matt staid strong, so he had to be happy with starring and the odd stoke over his hear or shoulder..lol.
Phil bought some tickets of some dodgy police guy who walked him trough the VIP entrance and took the ticket straight off him again after…funny world..
The festival itself was absolutely massive, it was like a little town of stages,bars and burger stands. From the main stage, it took over 10minutes to walk to the beer stands and the Trance stage.. It was absolutely crowded and huge! We went to see Lenny Kravitz who was great, had a few beers and burgers in the break and went back to see Shakira sing. Her performance was great, she is an amazing entertainer and the crowd went wild when she was on!
Once again ,we had the sun in our eyes and the world at our feet when we left the festival. What a night..

01.10.2011
Hangover day for Phil today.. We all went for food together in a nice restaurant, then we took a minibus taxi back into town.. Matt and I spent the day strolling along the Copacabana and Ipanema Beach in Rio, having some Acai on the beach and chilling out. After that we went back to our couchsurfing flat, Ivana wasn’t in today, so we chilled out, got our long necessary shower and went for some nice food in Lapa..

Moving day today, Ivana has a new couchsurfer today so unfortunately we have to leave ;o( we jumped on the bus to Ipanema beach and stayed at the Wave Hostel in the center of Ipanema, which is a cute little hostel with very helpful staff.
Matt and I went for a run along Copacabana beach, its amazing how active people are here.. Everyone seems to be doing some kind of sports here, if its soccer, beachvolleyball, running or cycling.. We had a game of beachvolleyball with some locals which was so much fun! When the sun went down we ran back to the hostel, since we had a big night out planned with Michael, Manu and Phil.
Michael picked us up at the hostel and we went to Devassa, a bar in the gaystreet of Copacabana. Had a few beers there and then moved on to a cheaper place to drink. Cards out, drinking games on, Michael got very smashed.. lol he took us to the nightclub 00, a gayclub again., what a surprise! Once again Matt was in heaven, having 6 guys standing around him, trying to get his attention and his facebook and maybe a little grab.. lol
The club was fun, but really only guys there making out, so fun but different ;o)
Unfortunately we had to say bye to Michael at 5 in the morning, he went straight to the airport and back to Salvador :o(

04.10.
Manu and Phil moved to our hostel today, we did a trip to downtown of Rio de Janeiro. Had a little stroll around the market, not much more to see really. The beaches in Rio are way nicer than the city centre, especially Ipanema and Copacabana. We went for another little jog together with Manu and Phil and had a game of beachvolleyball down Copacabana beach.
Back at the hostel we did a little planning session, figuring out what route to take, where to go and when. Ofcourse we were planning while drinking a bottle of Cachaca, so we were very productive lol.

05.10.
Beeeeeach day!! Finally we got good weather, so off to Copacabana beach to relax and get a little suntan! Cooked some food at the hostel later and booked our trip to Ilha Grande for the next day.





Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



22nd October 2011

Fantastic read,hon - keep the blogs coming... its great to keep up with your travels
Stay safe & happy - and stay in touch. xoxo
28th October 2011

awesome blog malia, can't wait to speak to you soon xxxx

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb