Copa - Copacabana


Advertisement
Published: October 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

At last, the weather came up with the goods and we were treated with a fantastic warm day on which to visit the most famous beach in Brazil - Copacabana. My father had made the odd request "to walk on the Copacabana before I die", so we were happy enough to accede to his wish.

Hopes were fading for a repeat of the 464 bus to Ipanema as we wheeled our way towards the ocean on a very well-behaved Rio bus. The sun was scorching as we walked on the warm golden sands, and without sunglasses it was pretty tough on the eyes too. However I was able to glimpse some of the very fine waves that I could have caught if KLM... ok, I'll stop whining now. See for yourself.

Upon sitting down at one of the tables on the beachfront, we were approached by one of Brazil's many walking vendors. This guy had more fortune than most, though, because he was in possession of a few nice shirts, and seemed to be up for a big of haggling. So Dad saw a black Copacabana shirt, asked how much, and got the answer - 20. Dad waved his
Glassy GoodnessGlassy GoodnessGlassy Goodness

on Copacabana
hand in disgust and said ten. Needless to say, my father is now the slightly bewildered owner of a black Copacabana t-shirt that is a testament to his meanness - for ten reais! The guy wilted instantly. I also took the chance to pick up a fairly sweet Flamengo shirt - no doubt I will be beaten up for it in Dublin.

The lads headed off to some church for the rest of the afternoon but myself and Aidan headed for the net. We flew to RĂȘcife later that night and landed around 11.30pm, 8 degrees from the Equator.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

FavelaFavela
Favela

on the way to the airport


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb