Rio Carnival 2013


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
February 17th 2013
Published: February 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sambodromo - Rio de JaneiroSambodromo - Rio de JaneiroSambodromo - Rio de Janeiro

7.30 in the evening, and just starting to fill up
Previous two blogs are Brazil except Carnival. This is Carnival - what we came for!

On Saturday we took a taxi to the Sambodromo - we had tickets for Monday, so we wanted to do a reccy. We found the closest Metro to the stadium and tried it out.

The Metro system is also just one price, about £1.20, to anywhere on it's 3 lines. Not too extensive, and easy to use - but for the next three evenings it was absolutely packed, and running 24 hours for the carnival.

We took the Metro back again that night and watched the floats and samba schools going into the Sambodromo until around 2am in the morning. It was really impressive to see the floats close up, so much work goes onto them and the costumes. The carnival parades in the Sambadromo run for four nights (9pm to 6am, samba dancing all night!). The venue accommodates about 50,000 people per night.

On the Monday we got to the Sambodroma about 7.30pm, and it was beginning to fill up fast. Around 9pm the floats and dancers began, and it was an incredible night!

They really do put on a
SambodromoSambodromoSambodromo

The arches at the front on the stadium
show, so many dancers, such costumes, energy and colour, we were really blown away by it.

By 4.30am we had to call it a day (age catching up on us.....) , even though we knew there was still one more school to parade, we were exhausted and our camera batteries were flat! We went back to the hotel and into bed around 5.30am. If we could have stayed awake any longer we would have gone into breakfast that started at 6am, but we couldn’t.

Needless to say, Tuesday pretty much passed us by – just about managed to get out of bed in the evening to eat dinner.

You know I wouldn’t be surprised if we came here again at Carnival time….


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

TV Soap Opera ThemeTV Soap Opera Theme
TV Soap Opera Theme

Giant cube TV
The leaders and followersThe leaders and followers
The leaders and followers

Every float is preceded and followed by colourful dancers
El Dorado KingdomEl Dorado Kingdom
El Dorado Kingdom

..Searching for gold
Either..Either..
Either..

..Claudine, Cristiane, Andressa or Rafaela


Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb