Day 1


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ok so, our first day kicked off with a 5am start at Newcastle Airport (UK) with a flight down to London Heathrow which went off pretty smoothly! A 5 hour wait between connecting flights however meant we knew our day was going to be long one! The flight from London to Rio wasn't bad at all, around 11 and a half hours and again it was a pretty smooth which kept us happy! (the unlimited free alcohol supplied by British Airways was always going to help)

When we landed getting through the airport was fine, no problems with immigration which was pretty fast and collecting our luggage posed no problems!

The transfer to our hotel was quite quick although pretty expensive as it seems taxi services at the airport have set fares rather than having meter rates. When booking our accommodation we were advised to pay no more than 70 Brazilian Real however it cost is flat rate of 99! Maybe we were a little naive but after nearly 24 hours on the go we didn't really have the energy to care!

First impressions of Rio? Well, first all while on our transfer to our hostel the first thing I noticed was just how vast the city is! The view of the Redeemer as you drive into Copacabana gets you going straight away as the closer you get the bigger it is! It's an impressive sight!

The humidity when we arrived blew me away but in all fairness, it's South America, what did I really expect!

So, getting to the hostel (Bamboo Rio Copacabana) it seems decent! Internet acces is fine, bar, toilets according to Cheryl are acceptable (I have not been as yet but if she's happy I'm happy) staff seem fine and bedrooms are what you would expect from a hostel, nothing more, nothing less but I did have a comfortable nights sleep and so far have nothing to moan about! The staff also seem helpful!

I am about to explore Rio so will update soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb