We survived Carnival!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
February 17th 2010
Published: February 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey there

After 7 days in Rio we are on the road again tonight. A relatively short 7 hour bus ride North to a place called Oruro Preto (or something like that...). Its an old colonial town that will be a nice place to chill for a few days after Carnival. Incidentally, we didnt get too messy over our week in Rio. The first few nights were a bit fo a blur, but after that we settled in to sightseeing and relatively early nights. Our camera let us down during our week here...we werent able to transfer photos off the memory card to our USB, so havent been able to take any photos for the entire trip. Thankfully Kate (Jo´s mate who has been with us) has been going crazy and in time we will get copies of her pics.

Highlights included the actual carnival sambadrome night on sunday - without pictures it is almost impossible to describe. Imagine a 90 minute parade with thousands of people dancing in time to samba, the biggest most extravagant floats ever (some with people skiing on them...), amazing colours and people having the time of their lives. now imagine 6 or 7 of these parades in one night competing against eachother for the prize of best samba school. Awesome. Seeing a cop pull his gun on a crowded bus stop when we were about 20 feet away - he was looking for someone, luckily he didnt find him. The Christ statue - it´s ridiculously high, and amazing up close. And Sugar Loaf at sunset - google it, views were stunning although again with the height...

So we survived Carnival, copacobana beach, and Rio in general. It´s a beautiful city, just massive, and the people were in total party mode the whole time were were there. Now we are looking forward to hitting the road, seeing a bit more of Brazil over the next 5 days before we head to Antigua for the wedding.

Take it easy.

Brett and Jo.

Advertisement



17th February 2010

Happy Birthday
Great to hear you guys are having a great time. All well here. Nana doing really well. Going to catch up with her today having been in Nelson for a first birthday the last 6 days!! Yes Scarlett is one!!! Time flies. Just fabulous to catch up with the kids down there and they are great fun. Playing with Aaliyah and gave her a hug and told her she was Nanni's angel......she said no I'm not Nanni......I'm a Queen!!!" So there you go, she knows her station in life!!! Continually talking and has an answer fro everything. Enjoy the wedding and Happy Birthday for 22nd Brett. Hope it is a good one. Love to you both
17th February 2010

See you soon
Hi - glad you survived the mayhem and party craziness. Look forward to the photos when they come See you soon in Antigua
17th February 2010

What a week! Will look forward to the pics. Great that you didn't get messy - very sensible. Have a great time at the wedding. Love and hugs.
20th February 2010

Hey son. Nearly birthday day... exciting...
21st February 2010

Hello from Mum and Nana
Hi Brett and Jo. I am here with Nana and she is telling me what to write (not the first time she's told me what to do and she's just said it wont be the last either!). Nana says: It's wonderful to read of your adventures. It all sounds absolutely mind boggling. Have a happy birththday Brett and you'll get your present when you get home. I'm feeling pretty good...the little stay in hospital was well worth it. I've started the jigsaw; it's about a third done. It's a real curly one. Take care. love and best wishes to you both. Nana. Groovy son. I hope you have a wonderful birthday - it'll be hard not to I reckon. Love ya.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb