this is where we see the big jebus


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Botafogo
February 23rd 2010
Published: February 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Saturday the 20th of feb we say not goodbye but a big catchya later to Santiago. We are off to Rio de Janiero! Woo Hoo.

First thing realise on our way over on the plane is that we now have to start learning portuguese. Dammit i was just starting to get the hang of spanish. We breezed through the airport and got a bus to Botofogo beach where we stayed.

The bus ride told us a lot about this exotic city of which we had previously only seen glamorous footage of. The motorway in showed favela upon favela lining the road. I wasn´t expecting poverty like this. As we drove through the city, that poverty was hidden behind the sun, beach and mountains that is Rio. Definately 2 sides to the city.

The next morning we were up and ready to go to the beach, we made 2 new great friends in Aiden & Rebecca, a couple from New Zealand, and together we braved the Metro and headed to Ipanema beach. The beach was packed, being a Sunday all the Rio locals were out to play. I don´t think i´ve ever been exposed to so much flesh in my life. The best thing was, it didn´t matter who you were, everyone was enjoying the beach and showing off what they had. We saw some really really big bums sporting G-strings, it was fantastic.

We found a good spot and headed down to the water taking it in turns minding each others stuff. The water was so clean and fresh, i thought with so many people on the beach that the ocean would be filthy but it was gorgeous. Overshadowed by beautiful Rio mountains in fresh clean Rio ocean water ahh awesome.

In between swims we noticed commotion comming up the road. We turned our attention and realised it was a samba party. Sunday the 21st technically being the last day of carnival. Dancers, Brazillian drums and energy made being at ipanema that day unforgetable.

We found Rio to be incredibly expensive so decided that we should not spend too much time there. So we booked a tour to see the sights of Rio.

We were picked up in the morning and taken to São Conrado beach. This is a richer part of Rio and harder to get to by public transport. It is also the beach that the hang gliders land on. This was a bitter sweet moment for Nicole and I because although the beach was beautiful, we had decided that we couldn´t afford the hang gliding for ourselves which was really dissapointing but nessecary to keep our funds in order.

We moved on from there to the Tijuca Forest which is the largest urban forest in the world. The forest was beautiful, what we saw of it. We were running very late on the tour because half the people were still in bed hungover when due to get picked up so we only saw one waterfall and an hour walk became 10 minutes. Nicole and i being the eco freaks that we are were very disapointed. However, in walking only 10 minutes i was still able to smash my big toe yet again. Injury number 1 on a long trip.

On to the highlight of the tour. The big Jebus, Christ the Redeemer, up a mountain 800 metres high and the statue is 38 metres high. We arrived at the top by bus due to a funicular that was having repairs done. Nicole was very happy about this development, she was not looking forward to that ride. When we reached the top, the sun reached the middle of the sky and seared us with above 35 degree heat. There were elevators that took you the last bit or you could take the 223 steps. In true adventurer fassion, we took the steps. Their were so many tourists up there, you couldn´t take a photo without someones head in it. I have to admit though, the big Jebus is impressive and the view is mindblowing. I jumped up on the railling so that Coley could get a good photo with me and jebus and i felt on top of the world. Awesome.

The last part of our tour took us to the Santa Teresa steps. They were a highlight. When walking down from the top, you appear to be walking down ordinary concrete steps. Turn around and discover a mosaic artwork, it was brilliant. Coley fell in love and vowed to do some mosaic when we get back to Australia. We reached the bottom and the guide found a tile from every country that everyone on the tour originated from, even New Zealand. At the bottom was another surprise, the artist was there, Jorge Selaron. It was a special treat and we even got a photo, what a dude.

That night we said good bye to our new friends by sharing an Acai drink. Typical of brazil, check out the photo´s, it looks like purple muck when you get it but is real tasty, we loved it straight away and had them every morning.

A special mention in the blog for that evening too, We saw a military police dude with a machine gun. We´d never seen a real machine gun before. Cool.

Our last day arrived so we went to Copacabana beach to lax in the sun and have caprihina´s by the beach. Goodbye Rio de Janiero

Next stop Curitiba and the Serra Verde Express…….




Additional photos below
Photos: 119, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Entrance to Tijuca ForestEntrance to Tijuca Forest
Entrance to Tijuca Forest

The largest urban forest in the world


28th February 2010

Rio
Hi Guys, This looks really awsome, love the mosaics! Did you hear about the earthquake in Sandiargo? Are you safe. Love Mum

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb