Flamengo Fans for the day at the Maracana


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Botafogo
February 23rd 2009
Published: March 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 694 (21.02.09)

Wanting to experience one of South Americas biggest passions, we joined a group from our hostel and our norwegian mates hostel to go out to the Maracana stadium (once famed to have the biggest capacity of any stadium in the world when it was all standing) to watch Flamengo play.

As we arrived at the stadium we joined the steady flow of the crowd and stopped for a quick piccie at the sign announcing that the stadium will be used for the 2014 world cup final. We found some seats in and amongst the most passionate fans we could find. The drums were banging and the biggest flags we had ever sean were being waved by fans like their lives depended on it.

Although the stadium was only partly full (as a lot of locals leave town when carnaval is on) the atmosphere was electric and you could feel the emotions in the fans near us reflecting their teams performance on the pitch.

It was a strange game and not quite at the high standard we had thought a top level brazillian football game would be, however it was a hard fought game with loads of action. After 3 red cards, loads of yellows (we lost count in the end) and 5 goals, Flamengo came out second best to Resende and a dejected crowd of fans left the stadium. It was an incredible experience and even if the footie was a little scrappy it was both entertaining and eventful.

Back at the hostel we had a couple of beers on the balcony before another night on the tiles. Starting in Cinelandia we found the tail end of a street party and danced with a couple of old fellas before heading off for another monster night at our favourite haunt in Lapa. Much beer, silliness and dancing ensued and as we returned to the hostel at the end of the night we caught a stunning glimpse of the sun rising over sugarloaf mountain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb