Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
June 11th 2011
Published: June 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After our day of bird and sea lion spotting, we got the bus back to Lima and headed straight for the airport. I am not sure most backpackers do this much flying but at Ryanair prices (plus you get a reserved seat, don’t have to pay to check in luggage, get food and drinks but disappointingly there is no cheesy music when you land saying “another on time flight from Air Peru”) then why not!

We caught a flight to Buenos Aires (at 1 am!) then got a taxi across town to the domestic airport for our flight to Iguazu. This is our 3rd time in Argentina this trip – does that mean we can say that we have been to Argentina 3 times? That evening was spent mostly sleeping then we were up early to catch the bus to the falls. We spent the day at the falls which were amazing. We hiked the upper trail, giving a view from the top of the falls, then trekked the lower trail to give amazing views from below. We then took a boat ride which partially went under the falls and right to the base of the most powerful part which soaked us, but gave us a great feeling of the power of the water! Check out the poncho photos – Carrie said I looked like I was in a big condom! In the afternoon we caught the eco-train to the Devil’s Throat which is the most famous part of the falls and the views of the horseshoe-esque falls were fantastic. A good day all round (and photos taken by the ton load) but in the rankings of the ‘World’s Best Waterfalls as seen by Carrie and Danny in 2011’, Victoria Falls still comes out on top – I think because they are more powerful and the lack of protective barriers between you and the falls gives it the exciting danger factor!

So what to do next with just over a week to go (where did the last 5 months go?) We decided that we would go to one place before Rio as although it looks really close on the map, it is actually the equivalent of going from London to Timbuktu or something like that! Let’s ask the travel desk at the hostel for advice…what a waste of time…the 14 hr direct bus to Paraty in Brazil was actually 4 buses (including 15 hrs next to a smelly toilet – seriously, who does a poo in a bus toilet?), 2 metro trains in Sao Paolo and 24 hrs in total – plus our Portuguese leaves a lot to be desired! Oh well, at least we are in Paraty (cobbled streets, beaches, cloud at the moment – Carrie not happy as she wants to make everyone jealous of her tan when we get home) now for a few days and have only one more tiny 4 hr bus ride to Rio to go for the final part of the trip…




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



14th June 2011

5months away
You having been away for 5 months mum taught me how to find yr blog! It's quite interesting.have a safe trip home sorry if I don't come to London to greet you but will be seeing enough of you soon
14th June 2011

5months away
You having been away for 5 months mum taught me how to find yr blog! It's quite interesting.have a safe trip home sorry if I don't come to London to greet you but will be seeing enough of you soon

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb