Paradise


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
May 10th 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

In search of a little quiet time we headed down the coast to Paraty, a cute little town that was once central in the gold route from Minas Gervais mines to Portugal. The drive down was one of the most stunning of the trip as we swerved our way round jungle-clad bends, overlooking peaceful inlets with golden sand, picturesque rocks and waves that gently lapped the shore.

We arrived in the evening and quickly settled in to our hostel where we met some friendly faces from our time in Florianopolis. A short walk along the beach as the sun set and our rumbly tummies demanded attention. Bring on the Pizza rodilla.... all you can of varying flavours with the convenience of never having to leave your table. I love Brazil.

Next morning we awoke to fresh juice, coffee, fresh tropical fruit and cake. A perfect start to the day. Two other girls at the hostel had met Miguel, and ex-pat from Mar del Plata (Argentina) who had recently settled in these parts and who happened to own a wee sailboat. And so, with just enough time to grab a sarong, we left on Tupinha, and sailed out into the islands of the Baia da Ilha Grande. It was one of the nicest days of the trip, sunny as anything without a cloud in the sky. Birds flew over head, islands dotted the horizon and Miguel told us tales of the surrounding region and his adventures all over the world.

Feeling a rumble in our bellies again we pulled into a quiet bay and waded ashore for some salad and sunshine. We then explored the jungle-covered island, watching locals fish, and a very sweet puppy laze in the sun. After a most refreshing swim we joined him. I don't life could get much better. We headed ashore just after the sun set behind the hills, a beautiful red full moon shining above the waves. Then it was time for a savoury crepe and some time in the swingy hammock chairs before bed. Ahhhh.

Walking into town to explore the historic centre the sun beat down like crazy. The heat had notched up a few more degrees and humidity was rising. In the harbour we spied colourful boats, and on the cobbled streets horse and carts carried people from place to place. Exploring done, we headed back to our quiet beach for a nice feed of rice, beans & chicken (there's a pattern developing) and a nap in the hammock chairs.

After a quick dip as the sun started to drop, we headed for sunset caipirinhas and mexican on the beach. Once again the spooky red moon rose above us as the last of the swimmers jumped about in the gentle waves.

But every good story has to come to an end and our flights were very quickly approaching. The following day we boarded a bus, said our farewells to Paradise and headed back to Rio.

Advertisement



26th May 2009

hi, its nice to hear that you enjoyed your time in brazil. i am also planning to go to rio in mid of july. can you tell me which hostel you are staying in rio? thanks
30th May 2009

Rio Hostel
Hi We stayed at Walk on the Beach hostel on Dias de Rocha in Copacabana. They are on hostelworld.com and also have their own website. Happy Travels!

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb