Ihla Grande


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
March 11th 2011
Published: March 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a big week in Rio we decided it was time for a bit of a R&R so Tuesday morning we caught the 5am bus to Managaratiba in order to get the 8am ferry for Ilha Grande. As soon as you slow down everything takes a hold and we have both been sick basically since leaving Rio - moral of the story don't stop drinking!

Ilha Grande is a lovely little island off the coast of Brazil and finally the weather was kind to us so besides being ill we enjoyed some sunshine and salt water! The biggest problem - No ATM´s on the island and I think for the 4 days we had about $300AU between us - nice to finally stick to the budget though - and thank god they take Mastercard at a lot of the restaurants! The water is clear and blue, the mountains are sweeping and green, the sun was shining what more could you want........ like a boyfriend! This place is basically a romantic retreat for loved up couples which wasn´t what we were expecting but it is still a beautiful place. And we met a few nice people - a bunch of Swiss boys, one of them now living on Ilha Grande, DJ Buddha (too long to explain just smile for me, this man was crazy), a lovely guy from Townsville.

We spent our first full day recouperating on the beach, the second on a boat island hopping and snorkelling etc etc. AWESOME! On our last night we met up with our Swiss friends for dinner and enjoyed a few too many Abacaxi Caprifrutas which is basically pineapple rocketfuel, but very yummy! We ran into our Aussie friend and all headed out to the only nightclub on Ilha Grande - all of about 17 people in total including staff and the band and well..... us. It was one of those nights where you´re fine and then you go to stand up and the next thing you know you wake up in bed (thank god). My head hurt!

We finally got back to Rio - after the worlds longest and worst boat and bus trip. Picture.... similar conditions as to those experienced by refugees on Christmas Island! And worst thing, it was the 'speedy connection' and supposed to take 3 hours. 3 hours island time is more like 6 hours normal time so by the time we were both about to vomit on the bus packed to the brim with luggage and tourists (I'm talking sardines in a can) and had just driven into Rio we demanded the terrible driver (who didn't understand the concept of slowing down over spped humps) to 'STOP THE BUS'. We got off in the middle off god knows where hailed a taxi and headed to Copacabana!

But thats not the end of it.... To be continued!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb