The Brazilian Sark...


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
March 1st 2011
Published: March 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

After our stressful time trying to navigate the megacity of Sao Paulo, (pause) not, we headed to the beautiful, non-motorised Ihla Grande. It is known as the city dwellers of Rio's 'playground' at the weekend, which is unfortunately when we showed up. Our idea of a Brazilian Sark was definately inaccurate.

We walked and explored jungle paths along the coast, trying to find remote beaches. One day, Laura walked straight through a large spiders web, equipped with a pretty massive spider. She cried like a little girl and flapped her hands around saying not to laugh, or she'll Les. Dad, if you're reading this - you would have wished you had boys! We also went on a boat trip to Lagoa Azul. Now, we know that pictures can be misleading and people selling the tours don't always tell the truth... The live local band (the best in town) turned out to be a triangle, drum, accordion with a drunk singer. Not many boats at the lagoon turned into 8 tour boats and about 13 private speed boats! It was great for looking at fish becasue the captain laid bait around the boat. Joe particularly disliked being dragged out the way by the captain of the ship because he got in the way of a 15 real photo of a snorkeler. It was really quite a frantic day out, but good fun all the same.

One of the nights, a boy in our hostel turned 23. We all decided that we should go out to find a party to celebrate. Then ended up playing UNO. But we did eventually go out, I promise! We turned up to the party to find our friend Giorg, who we met in Floripa. Usually, on our travels we have run into people after our initial meeting, further on up the Gringo trail, small world. But this was a genuinely nice surprise. We caught up and drank many a caiphirina (still can't spell that!) which led to some dancing and a random conversation with an Aussie about poo-bins. It seems since telling you all, poo bins were a good ice breaker. Joe and the Aussie discussed their methods and stories. We thought nothing of it, until Rio a few days later...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb