Ilha do Mel, Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Ilha do Mel
September 12th 2008
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Apologies for lack of updates, so far the only computers we have been able to access seem to date back to the dark ages, hence lack of photos too, so as a result this may be rather long.... We are currently on a little island east of Parangua in Brazil and have come across the only decent computer.

So, from our last couple of days in Argentina we visited a small town called Tigre about 20Km from Buenos Aires. In Argentina this is a weekend destination built on a riverway and has small houses on stilts, we caught a little boat which took us deeper into the deltas. Then we of course went to the Argentina vs Paraguay game which was good........but it rained all through the match and was only about 5 degrees.......so we were rather cold by the end as you can imagine. It was a very fiery match that finished 1-1, which was memorable not only for the rain but for a terrible paraguay goal (own goal), the amazing argentina goal and tevez being sent off. tThe game was in the River Plate stadium (80,000) where the 1978 world cup final was staged so was a great atmosphere.

We then travelled north from Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu to see the Iguazu Falls. This journey took 14hours and we travelled over night by bus. However the bus was amazing! for about 35quid we travelled in a class called the cama-ejectiv. which was second class. The seats were HUGE, leather and reclined back to near horizontal. We received dinner which consisted of about 4 courses, free alcohol and soft drinks, then breakfast in the morning. Was awesome and made the long journey very bearable.

The Iguazu falls are a large collection of water falls on the borders of both Argentina and Brazil, which actually meet in one very large falls known as the ´Devils Throat´, and they were absolutely stunning. The weather was amazing, sun shining with glorious clear skies. We walked all around the park, getting the most amazing views of the smaller falls then got onto a boat which took us to the smaller falls let us take a load of pictures.......then drove straight into the spray of the waterfall. We got soooooooooo wet, but it was fun. Then we made our way round to "Devils Throat"........the biggest of all the waterfalls........it was unbelievable!!! the photos wont do it any justice whatsoever. We also visited the Brazilian side to view the falls where you get more panoramic views but it was packed with Chinese tourists, who pushed you out of the way for their photos so you couldnt just stop and enjoy the sights like we had done in Argentina.

We stayed in a hostel in Puerto Iguazu which was really good, more like a hotel but cheaper than 5quid per night! We also had the biggest steaks you have ever seen!

So, then we caught a bus to Curitiba (Brazil) which was more expensive than the bus from BA and half as comfortable and the driver drove so quick round the corners we felt we were going to fall off the edges of our seats, but all part of the fun. When we arrived we caught the train to Moretes, the journey being regarded as the most amazing in South America. It went high up into the hills and had spectacular views. We have now come to Illha do Mel an island off the coast in South East Brazil.

The island is very small (no roads) and quiet but absolutely beautiful, and looks like the island out of Lost (white sands, blue skies, green hills and great views of the mountains on the mainland). Today we even went dolphin watching which was brilliant, but unfortunately very hard to picture as they disappear so quickly.

Next stop in Rio in a day or two, and as soon as we can send an update we will. We are both fine and having a great time.

Lots of love,
Daisy and Ad



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Mate cupsMate cups
Mate cups

The local drink of Argentina....even more popular than coffee or beer!!
The fallsThe falls
The falls

Argentina on the left, Brazil on the right
Us both by Devils ThroatUs both by Devils Throat
Us both by Devils Throat

You just cant quite get the scale of this waterfall.....it was HUGE!
The fallsThe falls
The falls

Looking from the Brazilian side
The fallsThe falls
The falls

from the Brazilian side again
The fallsThe falls
The falls

Devils Throat in the distance
Train rideTrain ride
Train ride

The bridge we crossed high in the hills


16th September 2008

Yo!
Cool your trip sounds frickin' awesome.....making me very jealous back here in Bristol! Hope you're both well and having a great time! Ps. to Adam....in case you didn't see it, big Emile tore the Croatians apart! Heskey for England! 4-1! Whey!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb