Border Crossing - 22-23 Dec 2013


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Foz do Iguaçu
December 23rd 2013
Published: January 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

IthacaIthacaIthaca

Getting out the sand mats
Sunday 22nd December (Odyssey Day 44)



An 0800 departure today but everyone was up earlier than this. Partly because we are now accustomed to getting up early, but more due to the fact that the bloody dogs were making a racket all night!



The track this morning was a bit rough and rather sandy in a few spots. We had to dig out the sand mats at one point when the truck got stuck. Made a stop at a little town that I can’t actually remember the name of late in the morning to do a shop. Once again clearing out the local shop of beer cans to stock up the bar.



Again it is sweltering hot and I’m not sure I want to know what the humidity is here at the moment.



The campsite tonight is on a river, or rather by a river gorge. When we arrived there were a lot of people around but we were told that they were only there for the day to watch a football match. Sure enough they all cleared out just before it got dark. This camp wasn’t too bad
IthacaIthacaIthaca

Catching up to the truck
with mosquitoes, but definitely had a lot of different insects. The shower I had was cold, but that isn’t a bad thing these days.



The guys who run the camp could even be found chopping down a few trees in order to make it easier for the truck to turn around in the morning when we leave!!





Monday 23rd December (Odyssey Day 45)



We departed at 0800, after the camp owner convinced us all to stand together for a photo of all the gringo’s with their truck. They were really helpful here, even allowing us to use their own toilet when the camp ones ran out of water. Though Maddie (decidedly hung-over as he was) decided he needed a shower and stripped off to use the truck drinking water as a shower. I guess no one can accuse him of having excessive modesty…



Our first stop today was Puerto Iguazu to see the Jesuit Mission of San Ignacio mini. These missions were founded in the 17th and 18th centuries for the purpose of educating the Guarani Indians to the Spanish way of life. This had the
CampCampCamp

A relaxing evening
effect of both converting them to Christianity, as well as protecting them from being used by other groups for hard manual labour.



The first mission in the area had a population of 4500 natives and 200 priests. When the San Ignacio Mini that we saw today was built, it housed 4500 natives and just 2 priests! Within a couple of generations, the Guarani as a people had all been converted.



Leaving the mission, we headed toward the border with Brazil. Along the way we stopped to cut a mini Christmas tree – something Danielle in particular was very excited about.



Before crossing the border, we stopped for lunch at a café where there were trees that had inedible fruits that looked a lot like figs. The tree itself was very different though.



The crossing itself was very easy. We didn’t even have to get out of the truck. Simon and Emma sorted it all for us and hey presto – we are in Brazil.



We arrived in Foz do Iguacu at around 1730, or rather 1830 local time as we go ahead an hour. Before
Puerto Iguazu Puerto Iguazu Puerto Iguazu

San Ignacio Mini - Jesuit Mission
heading to the camp, we made a quick stop in town since no one had any money. Unfortunately the banks we stopped next to didn’t take foreign cards. So we will all just have to be broke for a little while longer.



The camp is good, with a pool and everything. To everyone’s delight – the pool even had water in it!

We set up our tents together in preparation for Christmas, as we will be here for 5 nights while the truck is getting fixed – the reason we crossed the border a day early. The little Christmas tree was propped up in the middle of the tents with the paper chains that Danielle had made a few days earlier wrapped around it.



There is a kitchen/dining area here and even fridges available to us. And the bathrooms? Quite clearly the best we have had all trip – hotels included. There are even clothes lines here! And yes, I am indeed getting excited about a clothes line. You certainly become very easy to please after doing a trip like this one. I wouldn’t change it for anything, but that doesn’t mean I
Puerto Iguazu Puerto Iguazu Puerto Iguazu

Listening to the guide at the mission - Johnny kicking an ants nest
don’t enjoy every little thing that makes life easier when I can get them.



Fortunately the bar at the camp accepted both US dollars and Argentine peso’s for snacks and drinks this evening when we went to make use of the pool table and the table tennis. Of course, Hannah and I managed to get the table tennis ball in the pool almost as frequently as we managed to hit it across the table…


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Puerto Iguazu Puerto Iguazu
Puerto Iguazu

The mission ruins
Puerto Iguazu Puerto Iguazu
Puerto Iguazu

These trees grow around the columns at the mission


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb