Hot and beautiful Foz


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Foz do Iguaçu
January 2nd 2006
Published: January 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

So we left our home away from home in Floripa and took a loooong bus ride to Foz do Iguazu home of the Iguazu Falls. We had seen many pictures of the falls before but when you get to see them up close and get doused by their spray its a total different experience. They are split between Brazil and Argentina with Argentina getting the larger portion. As the guide book says they are "higher than Niagara and wider than Victoria." It's pretty amazing.

Our first day in Foz after getting off a 13 hour bus ride we decided to go straight to the falls. We got off the bus at 6am and by 9am we were on our way to the Argentinian side of the falls. We spent the day running around in 90 degree heat taking so many pictures in the end it became funny. After the 1000th waterfall picture they all started blending into one big magnificent photo. The absolute highlight of the day came at the end. We had booked ourselves into what they call the "Jungle Safari" boat ride. Basically you get on a speed boat that takes you into the river to take pictures of the falls up close. Then you hide your camera in a waterproof bag and the boat driver takes off into the falls and you get completely soaked. It is loads of fun and just awesome to actually feel the water pounding down on the boat. The driver then proceeds to fly the boat around the river so that you feel like you are in a wild chase with half your body flying out of the boat heading at break neck speed toward the falls. It was pretty fun and a very wet experience which was actually nice after spending a day roasting in the sun!

Later that night we headed off to the best churrasqueria in town. I know most of you know what that means...lots of lots of meat! But for those of you who don't know it is basically a restaurant that serves various cuts of meat,pork and chicken. There is a massive salad bar and you begin there and as you eat the waiters bring different cuts of meat over to your table and you choose what you want and they just keep circling until you have had enough. We were so excited about all the food but it seems our eyes were bigger than our bellies after loading up on salad we were only able to get down a few different cuts of meat!

The second day in Foz we headed to the Brazilian side of the falls to enjoy the beautiful panoramic views from there and take another million photos. After having spent half the day there we headed across the park to the Bird Park. It is an ecological sanctuary with more than 500 kinds of birds mostly from South America but also from around the world.

We had originally intended to stay in Foz for 4 days through New Year but after two days there we were itching to move on. Our original plans had us heading north but we wanted to get somewhere fun before New Years. So at the last minute we decided to change our plans and head in a different direction. The next morning we got up checked out of the hotel and bought bus tickets to Bueno Aires, Argentina. More from Buenos Aires soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



3rd January 2006

Crap! Holy Crap!
That is *amazing*! And here I am sitting in Boston like a sucker... Maybe this afternoon when they replace the water heater in my basement I can take some photos and show you the excitement you're missing back home. You guys look great, the trip sounds fantastic, my jealousy is boundless. Keep it coming.
5th January 2006

Where did you stay
Hi, Where did you stay and would you recommend it? Great photos btw. Cheers!
6th January 2006

We stayed at Hotel del Rey
Hi Erin, we stayed at Hotel del Rey. I would totally recommend it if you want to be in Foz. I also heard really great things about The Hostel Inn on the Argentinian side. Have fun!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb