..time for some more water!!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Foz do Iguaçu
October 3rd 2005
Published: October 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Falls close upFalls close upFalls close up

Shall we jump??....nahhh!
Arriving in Foz, we were heading for Paudimar Youth hostel, when we were approached by two young guys who had just set up their own Hostel in the centre of town. We decided a central base would be good, and they even gave us lift from the airport.
Our first evening included watching the local chavs driving up and down the same bit of road blaring out bass beats... no different to Guildford on a Sunday night!
Went to Itaipu Dam which is the worlds biggest Hydroelectric project. They lay on a free tour for visitors where they take you by coach to several viewing points to get an overview, and then across the bottom of the dam (the dry side!) where you see the huge 10m diameter pipes (20 of them) which carry the water to the turbines. Then it was back across the top of the dam where you could see the lake and got a great view of the Spillways that handle the excess water from the dam.. upto 4 times the volume of the Iguazu Falls per second.
Monday, we went to Park Nacional for the Brazil side of the Falls. This provides a great overview of
Itaipu DamItaipu DamItaipu Dam

What a splash!
the Falls, and we also went on a tour which included a ride on a twinengined speedboat right up to the falls. They took us in so close we thought the boat would fill up with water and we obviously got soaked! It was great fun and the pilot messed about on the return getting us even wetter!
Just to round off the day we took a Helicopter ride which was fantastic. A great all round view of the Falls and a great experience in itself for a first time chopper ride for me!
The following day, the Hostel arranged a minibus to the Argentine side of the Falls. Border procedures completed, we first went to the three borders point, where you can see Brazil and Paraguay across the river then continued to the park. The Argentinian side gives an amazing close up view of the falls, and there were more opportunities to get soaking wet!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Speedboat rideSpeedboat ride
Speedboat ride

Preparing for a soaking!
Helicopter rideHelicopter ride
Helicopter ride

Iguazu from 2000 feet!


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0921s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb