Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Published: January 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After 16 hours of wafts of chemical toilet and very little sleep, we arrived in the city of Foz Do Iguacu tired and a little grumpy. After the initial confusion of how to work the busses in town and a few wrong turns later we arrived at our base for the Brazilian side of the falls; Favela chic. We definitely understood the 'Favela' side of the name but couldn't quite work out the 'chic' part. It was pretty basic but what more can you expect for £11 a night including breakfast in Brazil?! We dumped out bags and off we headed to one of the top things to do on our trip...the mighty Iguazu falls! With the falls forming the border between Argentina and Brazil, the falls can be viewed from both countries, with both sides providing different aspects and experiences.

We hoped on the local bus to the park entrance, then got aboard an electric bus in the park to take us up to the falls...and there it was! With every twist and turn along the winding trail, the views simply got better and better. Th Brazilian side is famed for its excellent panoramic views of the falls and this is exactly what we experienced. Thundering water cascading over the 280 separate falls which form the Iguazu falls. Awe inspiring, magnificent and incredibly powerful, so far they have delivered all that we expected. We were also treated to some insane, sudden but quick thunder storms whilst at the falls, which added to the experience even more so. After this experience it left us even more excited to see what the Argentinian side had to offer.

The following morning we decided to visit the second local wonder of the world (modern world); the Itaipu dam. Taking almost 30 years to fully complete and which now produces enough electricity to power 70% of Paraguay and 17% of Brazil it was an impressive sight. We took a tour which included a short movie about the construction and how it works and a bus tour around the dam. The dam borders Brazil and Paraguay therefore we crossed over to the Paraguay side to see it from a different aspect (another country ticked off the list 😊). It was the construction of the dam which had transformed a small town into a city and in our opinion probably ruined it somewhat. With an empty, slightly dirty and unwelcoming feeling we were looking forward to leaving Foz.

Once we returned from the dam we packed up again, hoped on the bus and headed across the border to Argentina. After two weeks in Brazil it was obrigado from us. We arrived in the town of Puerto Iguazu which was exactly what we were expecting from a town by the falls. Numerous nice restaurants, hotels and hostels, it had a great vibe. We were advised to stay at a hostel called mango, for its friendly feel, good facilities and friendly staff. With table tennis, a nice pool and decent rooms, it was a lovely place to spend the afternoon. That night we treated ourselves to a few beers and an all you can eat meat fest for the mega splash out price of £7. After 2 weeks of a 90% carb diet and serious dosage of protein was just what the doctor ordered.

The next morning we were up nice and early for a quick brekkie and to head off to the Argentinian falls. This time we were joined by an Irish couple and an Aussie girl which added to the fun. Unlike the panoramic views of the Brazilian side of the falls, the Argentinian side offers the opportunity to get up and close with the falls... And boy do I mean up and close! With numerous slightly meandering in and out and up and down the adjacent landscape, each platform provides a different equally jaw dropping view. Without being there in person you simply cannot appreciate the size of the falls; torrents if pouring water as far as the eye can see.

After completing the three main trails it was time for the highlight of the day, a chance to get a little more than just close to the falls, but to get into the falls! Life jackets on waterproof cameras at the ready we jumped about a rib with two serious outboard motors and roared off around the falls. After a family subdued first few minutes we were all left pondering how action packed this was actually going to be. Then it really got going, the boat took a sudden dash towards the foot of one of the main torrents and my god it was incredible and humbling to feel so insignificant against one of natures greats. With water crashing down all around us, people screaming in fear and pure excitement, the boat floated around for a few moments while we all tried our absolute best to look up and keep our eyes open to admire the sight whilst feeling slightly like being water boarded! Once that was over we raced away and headed to another area of the falls and did it again. It was all so unreal. Soaked to the bone we headed back to shore removed our thankfully unused life jackets and giddily chatted about what we had just experienced.

Clothes soaked and feet squidging away, we headed off to the final destination of the day; the main area of the falls which crashes down to form the Devils throat. A got aboard a small train to take us up the the start of the final trail which is a walkway suspended over the Iguazu river. Along the way we saw catfish, a turtles and a couple of not so friendly looking spiders. After a 10 minute or so walk we arrived to the too of the main part of the falls. The seemingly gentile river suddenly turns into a thundering monster as it falls into the vast pool below. The perfect end to another incredible day at Iguazu.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



23rd January 2014

wow
amazing !! what more can you say. you must have been blown away. ooh the spiders did you freak Rich? and jump into ~Gemma's arms?
26th January 2014

Hi Rich and Gemma, My computer has been out of action but is now fixed (thanks to Mat) so nice to keep in touch with you both. Love the photos so keep them coming and keep safe!! love to you both.
28th January 2014
image

wow!
Absolutely wonderful ...You look like you are having a great time so happy for you both Gemma l have bought a new hair dryer, whoopee!! Lot's of love and kisses to you both, Nan and Grandad Xxx

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb